Taper Turning Attachment

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Emfinger

Taper Turning Attachment

Post by Emfinger »

I see that there isn't any way for me to cut a taper on a shaft with my Craftsman lathe. But someone mentioned a Tapper Turning Attachment but I can't seem to find one to fit my lathe.
Any direction would be helpful
Thank you
Tom
Russ Hanscom

Re: Tapper Turning Attachment

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Most lathes have a cross slide that is capable of cutting a short taper. Is your lathe not so equipped? What size and model? What are the specifics of the taper you need to cut. For some sizes of taper, you can do it by setting over the tailstock.

It is even possible to cut a taper longer that the cross slide travel, by doing it in several sections. Definitely not the easiest method, but if that is the tool at your disposal...

Taper attachments can be made for, or adapted to fit, most lathes.
Emfinger

Post by Emfinger »

I just took a look at the cross slide and I think it will do the job, Thank you, Tom.
pete

Post by pete »

A lathe rebadged with the Craftsman name and/or catalog number could be anything from an 6" or 12" Atlas to a 1980's/90's Emco Super 11. Without knowing the size, model, who made it etc of your Craftsman rebranded lathe it's an impossible to answer question. For shallower angle tapers it can also be done between centers by off setting the tail stock unless it came with a fixed position tail stock. Few or maybe none of those rebranded Craftsman lathes had rear mounted taper turning attachments offered as accessory tooling, but I just don't know enough about the Atlas lathes if they did make any taper turning attachments or not. I don't believe the Emcos ever had factory designed TT attachments. It's certainly not impossible to adapt something from another manufacturer, a South Bend would be just one. But it wouldn't be cheap to do unless you got very lucky on Craigslist or Ebay. And I doubt it would be easy to adapt anything to the 6" sized Atlas. Making your own isn't of course impossible, it might take a fair amount of knowledge and experience though.Russ made an easy to do typo and meant top or compound slide and not cross slide. I've probably done the same myself at least a few times.
Emfinger

Post by Emfinger »

I'm good to go thanks to Russ.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Yes, I meant to write compound slide, not cross slide. Glad that you figured out what I intended to say!

Might add, as noted above, that taper attachments can be made or adapted if you really need one, and there are sometimes where they are essential, like cutting a tapered thread.

I have made one for a 13" Sheldon lathe, and adapted a NOS, ebay, Jet one to a Harrison lathe. Both have seen lots of service.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Emfinger:
The Atlas Press Co Catalog 3990 (circa 1958 or so) lists a taper turning attachment for the 10-12" lathe as part number 6822 and for the 6" lathe as part M6-700.
For what it is worth, the Clausing Corporation, who took over the Atlas Press Company may be able to help, or not....

CLAUSING INDUSTRIAL, INC.
3963 Emerald Drive
Kalamazoo, MI 49001
Phone: 800-323-0972
Fax: 269-345-5945
CLAUSING SERVICE CENTER
Phone: 800-535-6553
Fax: 269-342-7888

My Dad, who bought the 12"Atlas that is in my garage, made a taper attachment long enough to turn the od of a shotgun barrel. I still have it but have never tried to mount it.

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
pete

Post by pete »

Many thanks Earl, I hadn't known a TT attachment was available for the Atlas lathes.
earlgo

Re: Taper Turning Attachment

Post by earlgo »

Here is the catalogue page showing the taper turning attachments.
Cat page taper attachment crop.jpg
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
earlgo

Re: Taper Turning Attachment

Post by earlgo »

If anyone is interested I can scan the entire catalogue into a .pdf.
--earlgo