lathe compound power feed

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

davidhayes

lathe compound power feed

Post by davidhayes »

I have devised a power feed for my lathe that I think others might find helpful when cutting tapers with the lathe compound. A driver drill use's A variable speed motor but impossible to maintain a constant low speed of 10 TO 15 rpm. I took an older 12v DeWalt that the replacement batteries are to expensive and mostly old stock that want hold a charge for long anyways. ordered from AMAZON a 110v ac to 12v dc converter and a rotary speed reducer $43.00. a double pole on off on pole reverse switch $5.00 from GRAINGER 16 ga power cords from computer printer etc. A little modification by removing the trigger switch assy from the drill and splicing the motor wires down the handle to the battery case where I removed the batteries from the case. save for recycle of your other batteries. I hope the pictures will help those who might want to try this. I am impressed with the surface on plain cold roll. any questions respond to this posting
Attachments
compound powerfeed.jpg
compound power feed.jpg
power feed.jpg
speed control.jpg
John Evans

Re: lathe compound power feed

Post by John Evans »

David you are getting entirely too clever in your old age !! But cutting a taper with a hand fed compound and getting a decent finish is dang hard.
www.chaski.com
RSG

Post by RSG »

Awesome job! I've been wanting to do the same for a while now!

I put a lot of tapers on my aluminium reel parts and once vibratory finished the finish really shows from hand cranking the compound slide.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
davidhayes

Post by davidhayes »

morse taper finish.jpg
I forgot to put in a picture of the finish The dead center on left side is oil hardened drill rod hand cranked filed and polished final 1200 grit. the right side is Lowes
round rod power feed , no speed control, light filed final 1200 grit polished. center is same lowes crap round rod power feed with speed control, no filing, fine emery 500 grit then 1200 grit. hope you can see difference.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

davidhayes wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:05 pm center is same lowes crap round rod power feed with speed control, no filing, fine emery 500 grit then 1200 grit. hope you can see difference.
Very nice!

Aside from aesthetics, you're really ahead of the game if you can eliminate a file. I can't think of an easier way to lose roundness and concentricity than to lay a file on a spinning object, especially if it's sharp and aggressive.

Granted, the introduced error is not huge, but taper fits are best created straight and round.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.