Lathe disassembly question, take carriage off?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

neanderman

Re: Lathe disassembly question, take carriage off?

Post by neanderman »

bulgie wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:00 am
Yes, "carrying" in my case means winching it down on a good strong wheeled dolly, with a plywood ramp covering the stairs.
I moved my 480 lb Millrite column this way, although I would recommend something heavier than plywood -- I made two 'tracks' using 2x6's.

I had no issues

I also recommend having a helper.

Edit: Also, I used two come-alongs -- one on the axle: one on the handle. The former lowered it down the steps; the latter controlled the tilt of the dolly.
Last edited by neanderman on Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
neanderman

Re: Lathe disassembly question, take carriage off?

Post by neanderman »

bulgie wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:29 pm
I might use a water-based degreaser, which I can suck up with the shop vac crevice tool, followed by alcohol to wash the water out. Then over-oil it a few times, wiping up the extra with rags.
I use full strength 'Spic n Span' liquid or 'Simple Green', though I've not used it to 'flood' clean anything with moveable parts. It works well even on dried, hardened oil residue. I either dry the parts immediately after rinsing with hot water, or blow them dry with compressed air.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"