Clausing/Colchester 6535 15" Comments?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

dpage

Clausing/Colchester 6535 15" Comments?

Post by dpage »

Can anyone provide info based on experience or 1st hand knowledge of subject lathe? Found quite a bit of info at lathes.co.uk.
Like the attached pic except without coolant and splach guard. It is 15 inch swing x 48 in center to center. English threads only. No taper or collet closer. 8" chuck, appears to be in good cond. no noticable wear reported on ways next to headstock.

Have 3 questions:
1. Was trying to find any quirks or things to be wary of on this one other than usual wear and tear etc.
2. Are taper attach. and collet closer for 5c hard to come by on this one?

3. Assuming a condition of around 8 out of10 any guestimates on value?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards,

dpage
Andypullen

Re: Clausing/Colchester 6535 15" Comments?

Post by Andypullen »

I have run 3 of these machines....They are heavy duty enough for most classes of work. The only problem I had was getting oil under the carriage. There were the ball type oilers there but were invariably clogged.

It has a 2 speed motor rated at 2 1/2 and 5hp.

The last one I ran sold for about $1200 (in 2001). It was taking up space in the shop where I worked and was only used to cut spiral grease grooves in elevator guide spindles. It was bought new in the '60s and had all the attachments.

See if you can run it. It shouldn't be difficult to get a collet chuck for it. But the taper attachment will be more difficult....

Buy it if it's under $3000 if it is an "8" out of a possible "10". I would give it a home if I had room....

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
GaryHart

Post by GaryHart »

You might want to check what is needed to run the motor.
Have a lathe just like that and it has a two speed motor and will only run on 440 volt. The motor that I have is unable to be changed over to lower voltage. Had to add a transformer to boost the voltage up.
Gary Hart
Vancouver, WA
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Good point, Gary. All the ones I ran were wired for 220.

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
dpage

Post by dpage »

Gary and Andy,

Thanks for your thoughts, they helped.

Regards
Dennis