Lifting points for Clausing-Colchester 15x48?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

dpage

Lifting points for Clausing-Colchester 15x48?

Post by dpage »

I will have to soon be removing subject lathe from a trailer. This one looks top heavy, (even though the motor is in the pedestal below the headstock) and I sure don't want to flip it. Can anyone who has done a lot of rigging ever lifted this one before, and if so recommendations?

I will have available a 4K or 6k forklift.

Regards,
dpage
Michael_Az

Re: Lifting points for Clausing-Colchester 15x48?

Post by Michael_Az »

Nice looking machine. Look right in front of the chuck, between the ways and see if there isn't a threaded hole. This is for an eyebolt for lifting the machine. Sometimes it is adviseable to bolt some 4 X 4's across the base for stability. Lathes are topheavy.
Michael
Saimp 2 HP 10 X 44 mill, #2 Cin Horz Mill, Cholchester 13" lathe, LeBlond 15" Dual Drive.
dpage

Post by dpage »

Mike,
When you say bolt 4 x 4's you mean at 90 deg. to long. axis, like "outriggers"?
The lathe is not where I can see it but will check when it gets here.

Thanks for you input.
GaryHart

Post by GaryHart »

Pic from manual
http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0903/ ... he%20lift/
An option that I used on this and another lathe is to jack up the front of trailer with lathe still strapped down. Block trailer up. Skid lathe off using com-a-long as control, when tailstock end touches ground use skates, rollers or metal skid plate. Have solid blocking at end of trailer for headstock to rest on when it leaves the trailer.
With good 2 x 4 cribbing lower headstock end one thickness of 2x4 at a time till she is down.
Vancouver, WA
Michael_Az

Post by Michael_Az »

Yes, like outriggers to increase footprint. One of those cases of better safe than sorry. If you don't have acess to a forklift, maybe you could find a wrecker to get it off the trailer. I notice you live in NM, where? I live close to the AZ, NM border and I 10.
Michael
Saimp 2 HP 10 X 44 mill, #2 Cin Horz Mill, Cholchester 13" lathe, LeBlond 15" Dual Drive.
dpage

Post by dpage »

Gary,
What a great way to lift, seems so simple NOW that I see the fixture, why didn't I think of it. You can place the fixture so its right over CG so it lifts flat.

Since I'm not in a hurry to get the lathe off the trailer and I will have a fork lift available, I plan on making the lifting fixture.

Thanks a lot for your info.!

It appears you have a manual for the 6535 15 x 48 Cl.-Col.? Are other pages for it on the web?

Dennis