Lathe Belt cut 3 time,still too short-Belt source?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

steamin10

Lathe Belt cut 3 time,still too short-Belt source?

Post by steamin10 »

Now I did it. popped the belt on my 9 incher and looked for the spare.. Nice mouse nest inside dried up chewed mess. Dont remember when I put it up .Big lathe belt has green spots. yecchh! I live ina swamp. used my stitcher to put old one together and no luck , way short. Last one was good strong composite material. My leather spare crumbles with the stitches.Where is a source of lathe belting? Belts- is- us? Dave
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
pat1027

Re: Lathe Belt cut 3 time,still too short-Belt source?

Post by pat1027 »

My 9"'s leather drive belt gave up while trying to hog on a stainless disk. The shim I had used to pull the belt up tighter didn't help. I got a composite belt with a pin splice at an industrial supply house in town. Trusty McMaster Carr has belts and splice materials, even leather.
Mike in Michigan

Post by Mike in Michigan »

Set your belt adjuster to shortest setting. Measure around the pulleys. Go to auto parts store and get a 1" wide serpentine belt that length. You must pull the spindle shaft (good time to inspect bearings) but the belt will probably outlast you.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Yah, Old fart mentor told me that before he passed. I got SB iron head, and belt passes through two ports to the lower bench drive, so I cant thread the belt. I will try this on a back drive tho.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Herm Williams

Post by Herm Williams »

Hello
I cut and used those rings and pin on an auto belt for about ten years on a SB
before I sold it. Other than a click when the coupling went over the pully it worked fine.
my two cents worth
hermwill@cox.net
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I have a used serpentine belt for the Furd, and a lacing installer so I may try that if the old leather I got fails. It is ragged so I dont expect much. I dont/didnt know if the lacings would hold in the serpbelt material. It wont tick because I use rubber tape for more traction on the cones. When it goes away from oil etc, a quick wipe a coupla wraps and I'm off again. More traction means less belt tension to stretch things with preload. thanks Dave
A. Rickey

Post by A. Rickey »

McMastercarr has flat belting material that consists of a nylon belt sandwiched between leather. It's a little on the expensive side, but lasts a long time and doesn't stretch.
Bill D.

Post by Bill D. »

get a used serpentine belt for free and sew it to fit. if run toothed side doiwn it will not even tick.
Bill D.
Greg_S

Post by Greg_S »

Bill,
What do you recommend to use for thread when sewing the belt? I'm interested in what has worked for you!
Thanks,
Greg