Happy to have a Atlas Lathe Model TH54

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

kburk

Happy to have a Atlas Lathe Model TH54

Post by kburk »

Well I'm happy to say I have my first lathe :D It is a Atlas Lathe Model TH54. It has a 36" bed 12" throw. I will post some pictures tomorow.
The Serial 074399.

Does anyone know about the atlas history and or web sites on them?
I konw the lathe was owned by Camosun collage in Victoria B.C.
It was donated by a Doctor who used it to make model steam engins
and bought it form an old timer that made simeler engins and engins for model air planes The old timer got it new. The guys at the collage said they did not use it much because it was more of a hobby lathe. They did say it was very true and I was lucky to get it. :wink: I hope the lathe is as lucky to get me :lol:

Keith
If it was easy they would not call it work.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Re: Happy to have a Atlas Lathe Model TH54

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

kburk wrote:Well I'm happy to say I have my first lathe :D It is a Atlas Lathe Model TH54. It has a 36" bed 12" throw. I will post some pictures tomorow.
The Serial 074399.

Does anyone know about the atlas history and or web sites on them?
I konw the lathe was owned by Camosun collage in Victoria B.C.
It was donated by a Doctor who used it to make model steam engins
and bought it form an old timer that made simeler engins and engins for model air planes The old timer got it new. The guys at the collage said they did not use it much because it was more of a hobby lathe. They did say it was very true and I was lucky to get it. :wink: I hope the lathe is as lucky to get me :lol:

Keith
Keith, the lathe is supported by Clausing. A tiny bit of history here:
http://www.atlas-press.com/
Be sure to join the atlas_craftsman yahoo group. These machines have a great following and can do good work in the home hobby shop. Give Clausing a call and order a user's manual and parts list. They also have a good book for the beginner, I think it was called Lathe Operations and Machinists Tables. its pretty well written book.

Welcome to the group and no question is a dumb one! :D
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Keith,

What is the serial number? It's on a plate on the other side of the bed from where you stand. Mine is a 101.27440, which is a 1952 12x36 with quick change gearbox. I have most of the accessories, including the turret tailstock, production cross-slide with dual tool posts, tool post grinder, taper attachment and a few others.

Check out:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas/
and follow the links around to see the various models and accessories.

As Marty says, get the book, and PLEASE get one from Atlas Clausing and not a bootleg copy off ebay. Atlas Clausing still supports these machines, so we prefer to return the favor.

Call them with the serial number and they can send you a parts list. If you have any accessories, ask for the documentation on those.

Also ask them to send you the service bulletins. There is one for how to remove the spindle, there's a lubrication chart and a few others. They used to have them up on the web site, but not any more.

BTW, if you want a parts breakdown fast, go to www.sears.com and click on the parts link. Enter your serial number and you will see what parts Sears sells and if you hit the right links, you can get the parts breakdown.

You might consider joining the Atlas Craftsman YahooGroup:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas_craftsman/

Lot of good guys there willing to lend a hand. The guys here will too, but everyone there has an Atlas.

Steve
kburk

serial number

Post by kburk »

Marty and Steve thanks for the notes

I will definitely get the books and service bulletins from Atlas Clausing. I would love to get as much info on this lathe as I can.

My Plate for my serial number is on the far end of the bed. The tail stock end. My Model is TH54 and serial is 074399 I can not find any other number that look like a serial. I type the serial in to the sears search but no go?? Maybe I can find out what year it is some other way.

I also have a quick change box on this lathe I will take some pictures of it tomorrow and the parts that it came with. It could be fun. Name that bit.

Thanks again

Keith
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Keith,

The plate with the model number is on the back of the bed. You can't see it from the front without some stretching or a mirror.

If your lathe is up against a wall, the wall will have a good view of it, but you will need a mirror to see it. It is a small plate about 3" long and 1" tall. Should be right in the center. The model number will start with 101, as that is Sears' code for products sourced from Atlas.

You will need the model number to get the proper documents from Atlas, although the service bulletins are pretty generic.

The serial numbers were typically stamped into the ways at the tailstock end. BTW, mine is s/n 31256, but I don't know if the numbers were issued in sequenece.

Let us know how thick the bed ways are. The earlier ones had 3/8" ways and the later ones 1/2". The change was in the mid 1950's or so.

Steve
oldgoaly

Post by oldgoaly »

Kieth, there is a atlas yahoogroup, there used to be lots of good info there, i've been using a 10 and 12" atlas/craftsmans lathes for years. They work well, just need to know their limits, don't try to take too big of a bite! tt
clueless near st.louis
kburk

Post by kburk »

Hey thanks for the info.
I have signed up for the atlas yahoo group.
Here is a picture of my serial number plate.

Keith
Attachments
serial.jpg
kburk

Post by kburk »

Here are some other pictures of the lathe.

Keith
Attachments
P1010107_resize.JPG
P1010096_resize.JPG
P1010088_resize.JPG
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Timken roller bearing headstock. Make sure you oil those! it's basically a loss oiling system. There should be felt wicks in the cups to let the oil feed in slowly.

Parts of yours look like mine. If the ways are 3/8" thick, it's before the mid 50s. If 1/2" it's late 50's.

Milling attachment, "toolroom" (their term) taper attachment. Looks like you got some good accessories with it.

If you do have collets, it would normally take 3AT collets, but they are hard to find. You can get them sometimes on ebay. You can buy a sleeve for 3C collets, so that if you can find those, you can use them instead.

Some of the documentation I have may apply to yours. Send me a pm with your email address and I'll send you some (lubrication, taper attachment, spindle, etc..). You should look at the lubrication docs before using it (there is a lube point on the backgear you might never find - Hint: DON'T tighten the thing that looks like a setscrew in the middle of the backgear shaft - it's an oil hole).

Steve
Attachments
AtlasLathe10127440.JPG
kburk

Post by kburk »

Steve, What do you make with you lathe?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I'm planning eventually to finish a live steam 4-4-0 I inherited. For now, the main project is an electric tram engine (a.k.a. Toby). So far I've been learning and making thinks like tools to make the engine. I'm machining a backplate for a chuck. I'm also going to make a grinding wheel arbor (see Harold's article for details).

Right now, we're using it to measure Pinewood Derby car wheels (see picture).

I don't know how much out of sound is bad, but the wheels vary from 1 thou to almost 15 thou out of round.

I also used it do spin the nails while I used sandpaper up to 1500 grit, then 8000 grit polish, then rouge on a buff in the dremel (using it like a tool post grinder) to polish the axles.

Steve
Attachments
P2040109a.JPG
kburk

Post by kburk »

Steve

I don't think I said but my ways are 3/8 thick. What do you make of the serial number. is that the right plate? It is on the tail stock end of the ways. I would like to find out what year the lathe is.

I have one more question. This is the table (picture attached)I was thinking on using. It is 5' wide and 32" deep the lathe would fit on it but I'm wondering if I should brace it up some or just weld up a new table?
I have not really thought of what makes a good work surface for a lathe.
I like the Idea of steel because it is easy to attach to and I can clean it up with a quick wipe. The table is very sturdy ,I would take off the little wheels. It does not have much heft to the table. But I could also make a nice wood bench??

Thanks
Keith
Attachments
P1010106_resize.JPG