halfnuts not closing consistantly on my maximat

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ilike55s wrote:Say, How do you transfer and highlight a comment from a another post to yours for commenting on it? Joe rivera
One easy way is to respond by clicking the Quote button, top right, when responding. That will bring up the entire post, attributing it to the responsible party. You can then delete any part of it, or break it up by commenting on portions.

When you want to respond to a given portion, be certain that you include the following

Code: Select all

[/quote]
at the end of the portion you want to quote. It will appear in your page before you post the response, but won't appear on the page for readers to see.

If you continue the post, including more of the original comments, be sure to place

[quote] 
at the beginning of the next portion, ending, again, with

[/quote]
You may wish to experiment a little to get it to work as you wish. It's easy to do once you understand the procedure.

You do not include the word Code when you follow the instructions, above. That is used so the code can be displayed without exercising it on my post. Hope that makes sense.

Harold
kvom

Post by kvom »

I relayed the question to my shop instructor last night. He replied with a question:

Does the problem happen on every mark or just on one? If the latter then the dial's spur gear may haver an issue.
desert joe

Post by desert joe »

Hello Bill_Cook, thanks for your response. I think you may have provided a clue to my lathe's problem,,,Since I did remove the "carriage drive track" ( not sure what it is called but it is the stationary spur geared track for the carriage drive gear under the near way) for cleanout I am now wondering if adjusting this "track" is what provides the timing for the carriage to the leadscrew,,,?? I did not notice if the bolt holes were slotted for adjustment,,,BUT I'M GONNA LOOK!!!! And if they ain't,,they will be!! I'm going to wear out the bolts on this thing before its over!!
Hey Harold,, Thanks for the info,,I'll try it on the next one. Joe r
desert joe

Post by desert joe »

Hey Kvom,, Relay the following to your instructors
My problem is that "sometimes" the halfnuts will not close all the way or not close at all even when the marks are lined up!. Those times, I just have to let the machine go around until the marks line up again and then maybe the halfnuts will close that time. This problem also comes up when trying to close the halfnuts when using the leadscrew for feeding. Same problem. IF I MOVE THE CARRIAGE A TAD EITHER WAY, THE HALFNUTS WILL CLOSE WITH NO PROBLEM
Ask your instructors if the carriage drive mechanism has to be synchronized to be "in time" with the leadscrew? tHANKS jOE R
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

The thread dial is driven (and therefore sync'd to) the lead screw. The rack has nothing to do with it.

However, the thread dial relationship to the half nut location IS a sync metric. But that can be tested/confirmed by simply working the half nuts engaged and verifying that (with the tread dial fully meshed on the screw) the thread dial is setting in an appropriate location. If you can set the dial on (say) "1", and close the half nuts, then it's good. If not, someone may have lost or left out a shim(?).

Have you disassembled the apron for cleaning? It's not that hard to do and afterward you will have a much better understanding of how things work. I've got the apron on my 17x60 completely disassembled now. The feed lever detent didn't feel right, and the auto feed trip didn't work. I found a small cast "lever" inside that was broken, should have it back together by this weekend. Anyway, I suspect you may have swarf fouling or something loose/damaged in the half nuts closing mechanism...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
desert joe

Post by desert joe »

hEY BadDog,, Thanks for the comeback. Actually, threre was a "spacer" (washer) between the thread dial housing and the carriage on my machine. I could never hit the mark on the thread dial when trying to thread cause the halfnuts would close right BEFORE the mark on the dial. Another member suggested I either shim out or remove the spacer for adjustment. I removed the spacer and guess what?,, I can now hit the mark right in the middle,,,when the halfnuts do close. My main concern here is that " the halfnuts will not close consistantly",,,, and I wish to know why.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I guess I missed that discussion about the washer/spacer.

Still, I think your best bet is to take the apron down and clean/adjust the half nuts and operating mechanism. But in any case, it definitely has nothing to do with the rack or how it's mounted...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
dly31

Post by dly31 »

Something about this problem seems inconsistent. The OP said that the problem occurs when the thread dial is aligned but if he moves the carriage either way a little bit the nuts will engage. Unless there is excess backlash in the thread dial moving the carriage to engage the nuts has to mis-align the thread dial.

The half-nuts will only engage when the threads align and will always engage when the threads align unless something else prevents it. If operating properly the thread dial will always indicate when the threads are aligned and rocking the carriage with the half-nuts disengaged will always mis-align the dial.

What am I missing here? Backlash in the thread dial??

Don Young
desert joe

Post by desert joe »

dly31 wrote,,,

Something about this problem seems inconsistent. The OP said that the problem occurs when the thread dial is aligned but if he moves the carriage either way a little bit the nuts will engage.
What am I missing here? [quote]

Hey dly31,,I think you might have misunderstood what I WROTE,,,(it's not always what I want to say) Please look at my post to Kvom on 8-27-08.
Ps, A good buddy of mine and I have solved the halfnuts problem on my lathe and I am going to post a write-up for others who may have the same issue with theirs. Joe R
desert joe

Post by desert joe »

Hey Harold,,, I have not figured how you "box in" the comments you want to quote. How do you get the light shaded boxed area? Thanks Joe R

You may wish to experiment a little to get it to work as you wish. It's easy to do once you understand the procedure.
[quote][/quote]
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ilike55s wrote:Hey Harold,,, I have not figured how you "box in" the comments you want to quote. How do you get the light shaded boxed area? Thanks Joe R

When you respond to a post by clicking the Quote button, the software automatically puts everything in the box for you. If you want to break it up in segments, at the end of each one, place this: [/quote]

That makes the box, and includes what is typed before the [/quote] entry. You can then add your comments, but they must come after the [/quote]

When you want to quote more of the original message, so you can respond, place this in front

[quote]
, and add another [/quote] at the end. Everything between those two statements will be in the box.

Again, for clarity, the word code that you see in my response must be there in order for me to show the statement you type. When you do this function, you will NOT use the word "code". By using it, you can show the code instead of running the command.

If this is not clear, I can send you an email showing the exact construction, using a post as an example. Feel free to ask if it will help.

Harold
desert joe

Post by desert joe »

:D :D Hey Guys,, Here is just a short (no chance!) recap on how things transpired on the halfnuts problem on my Maximat Compact 3100. As I had stated, I was having problems with the halfnuts not closing all the way or not at all both when trying to thread ( very annoying) and also when using the leadscrew for feeding. Let me tell you, I just about wore the bolts out on the carriage, taking the halfnuts out to try something somebody had suggested. I appreciated all the help and support from all the people on the Chaski and the EmcoV10 groups who took the time to contribute. I want to extend lots of credit to Paul Fallert whom I got to know on the EmcoV10 site who prodded me to keep looking and offered all kinds of support. He has a Maximat 3100 too. Through one of Paul's friends, Mike Stets, we were finally able to resolve this problem.
Mike writes:
When you attempt to close the halfnuts on the machine when things are in motion, the nuts do not hunt easilywhich means you must encourage them to engage the screw. At the parting line on each half there should be some clearance milled to relieve the sharp corner of the thread. This relief is around 30 degrees and will allow the nuts to begin to close while picking up the threads on the leadscrew which then allows them to fully engage.
Mike had 35 years experience working at a US Government facility which rebuilt high prescision machine tools. He is host of two videos on machine tools which are currently being offered on Ebay.
Mike goes on to say "Over the years, I have made a few sets of halfnuts and learned that You need to have this relief to insure smooth operation and engagement. When you rock the hand wheel, you are aligning the the nuts to the screw so they engage. When you exert pressure on the nut lever, The corners of the nuts are riding on the screw and when the thread is matched up, they engage fully.

When you think about what Mike is saying,,,I makes all the sense in the world!!!!. I whipped them halfnuts out of their hiding place and not having my milling attachment yet,, I used my trusty Dremel tool and proceeded to do what Mike recommends. You could see where the leadscrew had already been trying to do what Mike is talking about. After grinding the relief on all the thread ends, I used a fine file and made sure there were not any rough spots and everything smooth as glass.
IT WORKS,,,IT WORKS!! Man, you just cannot believe how very smooth those halfnuts engage now. I can move the carriage and enage the halfnuts any here on the leadscrew as fast as I can turn the hand wheel.
For the folks that are familiar with the inner workings of a car transmission,,this is the same princciple they use on the synchronizers.
If anybody is interested,, I will take the halfnuts out one more time,,,I can have those babies out and in my hand in a pair of minutes for a pic. OK,, I'm done for this time. Thanks to all. Joe Rivera