drilling angle holes on a lathe.

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Gerald C

Post by Gerald C »

I just got done putting a new barrel I chambered, for my Mark V Weatherby ( 375 H & H ). and I wanted to put a brake on it but the design called for a 5deg angle for the holes. I just got my mill trued up so I didn't want to tilt the head. So here is what I came up with. I mounted a timing wheel to my spindle clamped a quick pointer to the lathe, next I made a drill spindel with brgs. that mounts to my boring bar holder. adjusted to center, and moved my compound to 5 degs. the pics. below show what I did, now I got to finish the barrel and brake so I can blacken them with oxide. Heading for Africa for a hunt in may.

[/img]Image

[/img]Image

[/img]Image

Gerald C[/img]
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Gerald--

That is truly some cool work!

Pardon my lathe-ignorance: What do you call that accessory that allows you to use your hand drill (?) in that manner. Is it just a straight-through, dual bearing block thingy?

What mill do you have?

Will that brake really reduce recoil on the .375? (I have no experience with big bore brakes.)

Good luck on the hunt! What are you going after? (I'm not a hunter.) Cats? Buffalo? Deer things?

--Bill
You are what you write.
Jose Rivera

Post by Jose Rivera »

Slick tool !!

Did you make it yourself?
There are no problems, only solutions.
--------------
Retired journeyman machinist and 3D CAD mechanical designer - hobbyist - grandpa
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

That is so far out of the box thinking it's not even in the same building!

Nice work.

Steve
Gerald C

Post by Gerald C »

Bill, I call it a drilling jig, It is built from 1.125 steel bar stock, I bored the front out to hold 2 bearings then turned the rest down to fit the boring bar holder, drilled a 3/8 hole and reamed to size. I then used 3/8" tool steel to hold the chuck, If you look just behind the chuck you see 2 thrust washers, one brass, one plastic. It works great. We are going for plains animals, this time. I'm a gun nut so i keep changing barrels and calibers on my rifles I own, I have to many of them and time is running out!!I wish I could have done all of this sooner than later in life.

Jose, yes I did make it myself, you can see I'm new to this because my finshes are not good, thank god for sand paper!

Steve, thanks for the Comp.

Gerald C.
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

GeraldC , that is one heck of tool . I have to make one, such a good idea !!
The more I learn , The more I don't know !
DICKEYBIRD

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

(Dope slaps forehead) What a brilliant idea!

Do you post over on the Home Shop Machinist forum? There's a long thread over there on shop made tools that NEEDS your clever drill device. If you don't go there, I'd be happy to copy/paste your pics for you.
Milton in Tennessee

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Gerald--

Your drilling jig is truly great! (It needs a more glorious name, though.)

I am a gun-nut, too. However, I do handguns. I only have a single long gun, but it is very long.

--Bill
You are what you write.
Gerald C

drill jig.

Post by Gerald C »

Dickeybird, no I don't post there so go ahead if you want to.

Coal miner, have at it. that is why I posted the pic. I've gotton so much from this site I owe something back.

Bill, I have a steven's 44 1/2 45/ 90 34 inch barell shoots 545 grain lead bullets at 1345 fps with black powder out to 1000 yds.
Bill I'm not good with words or sayings so I will give you the honor to rename it if you want, you don't want to know how long it takes my to type this!!!

Here is an other pic of the unit.

[img][img]http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/quac ... t0096a.jpg[/img]

Gerald C.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Is the feed done with the compound or does the shaft slide in the bearings?

Steve
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

SteveM wrote:Is the feed done with the compound or does the shaft slide in the bearings?

Steve
Just guessing, but I think that's what the thrust bearings are for. That's a neat tool. I'm gonna have to make one too.

Dave
Gunbuilder

Post by Gunbuilder »

Gerald C,
Just when you think all the good stuff has been done, someone like you comes along with something really brilliant.

I bet there are going to be a quite a few of them built in the next few months.

Thanks,
Paul