Welcome to the Lathe Forum!

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: Harold_V, GlennW

AllThumbz

Re: Welcome to the Lathe Forum!

Post by AllThumbz » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:38 am

Glenn Wegman wrote:And you are doing a fine job too!
Thank you, and the other powers that be for your time!
Thanks Glenn. I was on nights this week, so had some time during the day to move posts from General into Lathes and Milling. All told about 1000 topics have been moved to date. I hope this did not create confusion or inconvenience. I am simply trying to organize everything- there are some real gems of information on this forum, and I want to insure that they can be seen and found. We have some things as stickies so that they remain up at the top, easy to find.

Let me know your suggestions- in the meantime, enjoy!

Best,

Nelson

AllThumbz

Post by AllThumbz » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:08 pm

We've gotten a lot accomplished in the last two months. We got the forum up and running, and transferred a lot of posts over from the General Forum to this forum.

How can we make this forum better / more useful to you?
Please give us your suggestions...

Thanks!

Best,

Nelson

spro

Post by spro » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:05 pm

It's been over a year since response and that Means something! Websterz Nelson and your good foundation have made this the Most friendly board. No draining pop-ups. Info in, info out. Clean pics no hassle. Great work folks. Thanks.

Jim Jakosh

Post by Jim Jakosh » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:14 pm

I have 2 Southbend 9" lathes- one has the original leather belt on it that is on its last leg and the other one has a 3/4" wide serpentine belt on it that is stitched with kevlar fishing line. The kevlar cut through the end of the serpentine belt so I went looking for a replacement belt that I could string around the pulleys and hook together. I found this site for hit and miss engines
http://www.hitnmiss.com/index1.html
and they sell the 1" wide belt 3/16 thick with lacing attached to any length you want. So I ordered two belts. I just thought I'd post this in case anyone else is looking for flat belts for their lathe..........Jim

Dutchman

Post by Dutchman » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:52 am

Hello every body.
I have just been registered.
I live in the Netherlands and can speak and write english, but sometimes I don't know the right expression and make my own.

I have a LAM 350B lathe, bought in the late "70. At that time I was a locksmit at a factory where they made scales.
For years now I do officework and make estimations for a company making bridges and other steel structures.

But the job as a locksmit has become a hobby in the years.

In the meanwhile I bought a millingmachine more a combination drill/milling machine.

The drill with stand is a bit curiues.
The drill was obsolete in the "70's , brand "Fein" total aluminium casing and 110 ac for safety with a transformator 220V~>110V~ ac.
A gues the drill is from late "50 's. The drill ended nearly in the bucked with scrap, but I saved it. And it's working until now.
The stand is from a german supplyship built in "42. The brand of the stand is "Hommel".

I love this no nonsense quality.
Attachments
Fein-Hommel combination.jpg

spro

Post by spro » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:21 am

I almost love it too. That is a particular fine quality drillpress fixture. It does make perfect sense to have a high speed unit captured into the frame for more precision. We in the America had those frames also. They varied in quality and usually built to encompass a certain drill/drillhead. We had Many manufacturers of portable drills, so one may be constructed to fit the exact frame of that drill. That frame was difficult to adapt to another drill head. It could be done and I have a Milwaukee drill married to a portable frame of less quality.
This is different than your use because it is lighter in weight. The base or table can be turned upside down and presents an accurate surface to a machined surface, an engine block. Other surfaces it can be clamped on. Then you have a drill press type of accuracy for drilling out studs and other things. The advent of truly portable drills with high ah lithium batteries makes a fixture similar to yours quite amazing in remote areas. These would be lighter and not the same quality as yours. Yours deserves to be on your bench and very useful. I have about 4 different fixtures and none of them are of that quality.

Jim Jakosh

Post by Jim Jakosh » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:01 pm

I have two 9" Southbend lathes and I love working on them. One is a 36" from 1952 and one is a 30" from 1947. they both still work very well and I have made additional tooling for them that I just just about every week.
It is nice to see a forum on lathes for us lathe owners!!

Bamban

Post by Bamban » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:55 pm

Hi Y'all,

Just joined today. I am using the Lathe Forum to introduce myself. Mod, if out of line, please move this post to the appropriate one.

My name is Nez Rongero, age 62 and enjoying my retirement since 2011. Got 2 kids and 3 grandkids. For a hobby, I am a service high power shooter, Distinguish Rifleman in 96, High Master in 97, and Presidents 100. I never had any machining background, so this machining world is totally a new one for me.

Joined this forum to read and learn. I got my first lathe and a Bridgeport just this past September, so I very much quality as a total newbie. Just last week I inherited my 2nd lathe, a motorless Federal Tool PC-23, 10x24. I am hopeful someone here might have a similar lathe whom I can pick up some information from.
USAF 1972-1978
Distinguished Rifleman, Badge 1234
President's 100

redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:13 am

Welcome to the forum There are a good bunch of folks here! You may wish to add your location to your profile. If someone lives near you they may choose to help you out a little more than with suggestions online. To add your location click on control panel in the top right of the page, then click profile in the left hand box. Add your location in the appropriate field then remember to click on submit at the bottom. We aren't looking for your home address but State, County, or City, whatever you are comfortable with.

Bamban

Post by Bamban » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:57 pm

redneckalbertan wrote:Welcome to the forum There are a good bunch of folks here! You may wish to add your location to your profile. If someone lives near you they may choose to help you out a little more than with suggestions online. To add your location click on control panel in the top right of the page, then click profile in the left hand box. Add your location in the appropriate field then remember to click on submit at the bottom. We aren't looking for your home address but State, County, or City, whatever you are comfortable with.
Thank you.

I just updated my profile.
USAF 1972-1978
Distinguished Rifleman, Badge 1234
President's 100

doublescotch

Post by doublescotch » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:08 pm

I am not a machinist,but I would like to learn. To that end some time ago I bought a central machinery 12x37 mdl 43681 which is a chinese copy of the Grizzly g9249 which is a copy of ,etc. etc. Problem is before it ever got turned on,it fell over(top heavy) and wiped out all the contactors. I got new ones, but the HF wiring diagrams are pretty much worthless. Bought the Grizzly manual but there are just enough differences that I can't use it. Can any offer advice/pictures/or diagrams on this thing. Anyone that lives within a couple hundred miles of Memphis, I sure appreciate a chance to look at one that actually works.

Ron

Hopefuldave

Post by Hopefuldave » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:56 am

Hi Ron,

Did you get any help yet on the wiring? Online I found the following manuals:

http://www.manualsbase.com/fr/manual/64 ... the_43681/
http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g9249_m.pdf

The grizzly manual is pretty good, and having worked on a number of these branded under several different names I'd say go with the Grizzly wiring diagram, even if it means adding a couple of switches to bring it to the same configuration, they're all pretty much the same machine from the same factory... The Grizzly diagrams (pages 64-66 in the manual) are about as easy to follow as you could ask - I reckon my kids could have followed them about when they learned to solder (age 4...) lol

You'll need a multimeter for continuity tests / identifying both ends of the same wire, I recommend one with a buzzer/beeper for continuity so you don't have to keep watching the numbers!
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of Wise Men - Douglas Bader