Show us your lathe!

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

neanderman

Re: Show us your lathe!

Post by neanderman »

Welcome aboard! Might I suggest you put your location in your profile? It doesn't have to be GPS accurate -- just general. The crew here is very giving, and especially so if they live nearby.

And nice score!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
ao1

Post by ao1 »

Appreciate the welcome. I will post pics as I progress. Plan on building a nice stand for it first. Seeing how good the original paint still is as I clean it, I may just leave it as is from that standpoint. I prefer the originality of old tools/machines as long as functional, but feel free to offer opinion or thoughts.

As for location, I am located on the East central coast of Florida. Basically due east of Orlando, FL.

Tim, I doubt it is the same lathe you gave away. :D The family at the house told me that the gentleman that owned it had it for over 50 years and he lived in same house near Lakeland, FL.

AO
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

ao1 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:35 pm Just picked up this 1938 South Bend 9 inch Model C
Nice, if it's in decent shape it will do nice work. You can't beat $75 either. I have a 9" Model A that the serial number dates to the late 20's. It's not the heaviest fastest machine but use it with it's capability and they are nice machines.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

ao1 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:16 am As for location, I am located on the East central coast of Florida. Basically due east of Orlando, FL.
Excellent. The company I worked for for 25 years has a location in Orlando; I made a few trips down there.

The beefier the stand, the better. On larger lathes, I'd estimate 30% of the weight is in the support. The greater the mass, the more vibration that can be dampened.
Ed

US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618

ao1

Post by ao1 »

Bit slow progress on stand. Steel prices are ridiculous, so had to search around. Stand is built from 2"x2"x1/4" angle iron. At the bottom of the legs is a 3"x3"x3/8" angle iron. Whole stand supported on 4 heavy duty leveling feet. Wanting to purchase a steel plate for top, but as I stated, with the prices of steel I will have to wait on that. For now the top will be made of two pieces of 3/4" plywood glued together. I may place sheet steel on top. Still debating on that.
Attachments
IMG_2022-02-05_18-27-49.JPG
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Good work...if you think steel is expensive....

Perhaps the plywood will be a bit springy...unless your mounting bolts for the lathe go into the frame..
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Perhaps two sheets of 1/2" ply, with some MDF sandwiched between to add mass?
Ed

US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618

Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

1" steel plate is about right :mrgreen:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
pete

Post by pete »

I hate the stuff and would have preferred even a good Birch/Russian ply for both layers instead. But I went with a double thickness of MDF on my bench tops. And laminated those 3/4" pieces using contact cement. Mostly my choice was made because it's flat, consistent for thickness and quite a bit more stable as far as changes due to temperatures and humidity. But I also used a laminate on the tops and edges. That sort of armor plates it a bit against oil, dirt and at least anything less than blue smoking chips. But the underlying support structure has to be better than plywood can work with. It's certainly less rigid and much less capable of total weight bearing than ply.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Use quartz kitchen counter top for the bench top. Rigid. I don't know if the price is less than steel plate.
Seconds from damaged installations might be available.
RussN
pete

Post by pete »

Cast concrete lathe bench tops have and are still done today by some. South Bend even tested and then provided free information about the expected improvements and accuracy it can gain to people doing small sub contract work during WW II. I'd want to add some steel mesh and maybe rebar if I went that route I think.
ao1

Post by ao1 »

All good suggestions. I do plan (or is it hope) to have a steel top at one point, although a 1-inch steel top will probably be extremely cost prohibited. The lathe mounting bolts will go through the frame the way the frame is built. That should eliminate the flexing in plywood. I suppose I could provide more mass, but as it is I estimate the weight of the frame to be approximately 155+ lbs. At the number it would be just over 30% of the total weight of lathe and stand assuming the lathe is approximately 330-350 lbs. Hope to get lathe on to stand by weekend. However, need to replace the drum switch so not sure I will have it by weekend.