Show us your lathe!

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

neanderman

Re: Show us your lathe!

Post by neanderman »

I have three phase on my street, which is a rarity here. I think it is partly because the church on the corner uses it for their a/c.

When they put in new poles a couple of years ago, and pulled new wires, I talked to the crew about getting a three phase drop, they said I could get one, but that it would cost me...

Were I 20 years younger, I might do it.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:58 pm
BTW, single-phase residential power is nearly universal in the Western Hemisphere—not just in the USA, and is also common in many parts of Asia.
I lived in India for a long time; 3-phase on every pole. I had it connected to my house in a little beach village.
Ok, the voltage would range from 110V to 260V, blackouts were totally normal, often one phase would drop out or worse, the neutral.
But we had 3-phase.

I traveled through a lot of Asia when I was young. I'm ashamed to say, I didn't notice how the power grid was set up.

In Amsterdam, 3-phase was available before the war.
But it was delta 220V, not star 380 with neutral. I had a place with it still connected, 3 hair thin burned crumbly wires, it was only upgraded in 2010.

Some said that there had been a neutral and the power was once 110v 50Hz.

My lathe motor is Dutch, I bought the lathe there but it's history is unknown. The volts window on the info plate has been scratched out, but I think it once said 185V. Obviously, if that's true it was rewound for 380V
No one has been able to shed any light on that one so far.

zelenda uz4 motor plate.jpg

Anyway, it's all ok now; don't worry about that expensive 3-phase supply, just get a VFD that runs from single phase.
Or as many of them as required.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

I bought a VFD for the LeBlond. Right now, it's the only three phase machine I own.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

And they (power companies) actively discourage use of 3 phase even when it's available right on the property. I'm not a lineman and not certain it's literally on my drop transformer (all underground too), but my neighbor 2 houses over (maybe 150 yards max) runs a business out of his shop and told me he has 240V 3 phase. The guy who owned my property before me ran a machine shop out of what is now my shop. It has its own 250A drop came with a high grade commercial CNC rated 30HP RPC with 3 phase breaker box and surface mount conduit drops all around the shop. When I learned that I was surprised that the RPC was running the PO's machine shop (full of CNC machines).

Then I called the power company to see what it would take to convert my shop's power to actual 3PH. At first I was told in no uncertain terms it wasn't available for residential drops. I then pointed out my neighbor's shop, and that I basically had the same situation. The same person who said it wasn't available then said it would be a minimum of (some ridiculous amount, $16K IIRC). I replied with "you just told me it wasn't available, and that can't be the right price", and asked for a supervisor or someone more senior. That angered the little dude, but he did get me someone who was supposed to be some sort of engineer and who would be involved in actually putting together the work order should I want it installed. He was a more reasonable person who at least talked like he knew what he was doing. Other than breaking it down for this and that fee, it was still well over 10k minimum by the time you got through the "engineering fees" and a bunch more with a number of potential price adders to be determined when actual engineering was done. So, I use my RPC...
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

BadDog wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:58 pmAnd they (power companies) actively discourage use of 3 phase even when it's available right on the property.
Plus there is a sneaky little charge that gets tacked on to the utility bill of three-phase customers: the demand charge.

Given that modern solid-state phase converters have matured and now produce a reasonably good facsimile of genuine three-phase power, I would go that route to power my machines if I didn't have three phase at my shop.
neanderman wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:25 pm I bought a VFD for the LeBlond. Right now, it's the only three phase machine I own.
My drill press, belt/disc sander (a 2 HP beast) and horizontal band saw are all three phase. My lathe will also be three phase once I've finished the "engine swap." The building in which my shop is located has three phase power, with 200 amps per phase maximum allowable load.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I had a weird experience like that with a power supplier.
in 1997, I bought a houseboat that was moored out on a jetty in a group of 7 at the edge of the city of Amsterdam.
There was no shore power supply to those boats, even though they were legal residences, and had to be connected by law.
The situation had been like that for 20 years. They had some cool windmills. Noisy though.
I called and talked to the area engineer... yes yes, this fee, that time, where exactly? The JETTY?
NO POWER ON THE JETTY! the engineer exclaimed.
why?
Not enough power supply in the road he claimed, a blatant lie. It was an industrial area. Soon afterwards, one of the warehouses was converted to a film studio. there was plenty of power.
If there was a legitimate reason, why lie? I still don't know. I think it was some city political thing and someone had roped in the engineer. The city wanted to move the boats but the old hippies who lived on them refused [they had some legal rights].
It was odd, what was engineer's motive? by the time I came along, whatever bureaucrat had begun the harassment campaign was long gone. It was just leftover BS from a previous era.
Eventually, we got together and filed a lawsuit. Power was connected soon afterwards, my purchase doubled in value, and I made money.

I still own that boat.
Of course 3-phase is connected...
spro

Post by spro »

While this is all cool, the topic was supposedly the topic. Seems way back a new fellow was astounded about a 1929 South Bend lathe . I'm sorta familiar about the 1933 . We just blew him away like it never happened .
mec9900

Post by mec9900 »

I have had many lathes over the years. These are the two I have now. I don't have much information on either one of them.
Attachments
Central Machinery 7.jpg
VS 12 X 36 1.jpg
dash9

Post by dash9 »

Our manual and our CNC.
Attachments
DSC_2582.JPG
DSC_2584.JPG
wally318

Post by wally318 »

Hello All.
This my new to me Colchester Chipmaster lathe.
It's from 1973 and very close to the same time as I first put my hand on a metal lathe
in grade 9.Ironically its also from near where I lived at the time.
I bought it a few years ago and had it shipped from Windsor,Ont by train across Canada
to where I live about 250 miles from Vancouver.
It sat in storage until early this year and not too long ago, finally got around to giving it a good going over.
The key for the feedrod definetly needed replacing milled it out and broached for a new one.
Also replaced 4 feedrod related bushings and added 2 more to stabilize the feedrod to the key.
I replace the drive pinion gear for the carriage and slotted the rack for a better mating with the gear.
Also added a graduated collar for the carriage handwheel.
I just finished opening up the headstock. the brake cover plate had a leak so with the covers off,
shaved some off the front of the brake cone and repaired the outboard end of the clutch engagement
shaft as well as new O rings. It still leaks a bit of oil at the clutch end, but will address that when it really screams for attention.
And the clutch engagement lever feels rock solid.
It came with everthing in the cabinet, except the steady rest-brought that in from England. As well as a lot of extra small toolings.
I sold the Enco 4 way toolpost and the Multifix copy toolposts that came with.
I would have like to add more tool holders for the multifix but didn't really care for the parting/cutoff arrangement.
So I added a Phase II quick change post and lots of tool holders.
Also a nice full size Rohm direct mount 4 jaw chuck.
When I finish rebuilding the mill I will make a taper attachment.
One of our members in Vancouver(John) sold me most of the parts for a Sheldon taper attachment.
I've just finished off the design.It'll be more like a Hardinge/Myford style-bed mounted.

If any out there have specific Chipmaster questions, I'll do my best to answer.
but don't wait too long-while I still have it fresh in my memory.
Attachments
P1040305.JPG
P1040306.JPG
P1040307.JPG
P1040304.JPG
Last edited by wally318 on Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

wally318 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:03 pmThis my new to me Colchester Chipmaster lathe.
The first picture is rotated CCW.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

In West Australia when I built my house in 1983 I had 3 phase 440 Volt connected to my house, had to have a reason.
Told the power company I wanted to run a 3 ph pump for my garden reticulation , no problem for the princely sum of 160 dollars aud.
Most residential areas have 3 ph available.
Rural areas use SWER, SINGLE WIRE EARTH RETURN, no 3 ph.
Currently living in Philippines, SWER in my area, no 3 ph.
34 KV on the single wire connected to transformer, centre tapped giving 110 Volt per phase, potential to earth only 110 Volt, safe.
5 VFD's and I have 220V 3 phase for my machines.