Show us your lathe!

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

jim rozen

Re: Show us your lathe!

Post by jim rozen »

Oh hey. They *just* bought that exact lathe for the model shop
at work! The one with the exterior encoders designed to look like
manual controls.

Jim
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Any experience with the machine, Jim?

Harold
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Harold,

I was offered a similar type lathe (I believe) for very little money about four years ago from a friend. (can't find the pics) It can be used manually, programmed cnc, or you can make a part and it will remember your movements and then duplicate them on subsequent parts. I was lathe shopping when he offered it to me, but I could not even spell CNC and I wanted a conventional manual lathe in the 14 to 15" range. It was near new and he only wanted $4500.00 for it as that is what a dealer had offered for it on a trade for a different machine. He said he employees would not use it as it as they did not like it as he already had turning centers and manual lathes, and they said it was not reeally very good at either by comparison! I recently was thinking that I should have got it and tried it when I had the chance. It was very little money, but he is the type when he is done with something, he just wants it gone. Soon after that he gave me a CNC knee mill and paid the freight to get it to me from IL to FL.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
jim rozen

Post by jim rozen »

Sorry harold, the main shop has a hard/fast rule about researchers not operating their
equipment. They got rid of their 'hackers' shop after a few incidents last year, which
was good for me and my group as this gave the utimate excuse to expand our mini-shop
capabilities.

(it's now an elderly HVLH lathe, a deckel FP2, south bend drill press with VFD drive,
a small hydraulic press, and a tiny grizzly shear/roller/brake)

I can ask the guys in the main shop who run and program it, how it is working out.
And report back. Also some of the modelmakers who 'climbed up the hawsepipe' and are now
working upstairs, may have more intimate knowledge and be allowed to run it. One of
these guys does trolley/traincar restorations - he might be a good source.

Jim
kapullen

Post by kapullen »

Harold,

As stated above it will operate like a manual as well as cnc.
Missing, is the operator feel, because the handles work
thru encoders with no actual mechanical connection.

I believe the Haas machine handwheels are connected to the screws.

It has a semi auto mode for machining straight, tapers, or arcs.

It also has a "tracking" mode where by you do your first programed piece
in a semi-auto mode. Operating the handwheels moves it thru
your program and problems (crashes) can be avoided.

It has a thread pick up mode for thread repair, Cycle mode that programs
all your rough and finish cuts.

For threading, Inch, as well as metric, to any pitch. or number of leads up to five
(I think).

All the programming is fill in the blank questions, with no G and M coding required.

I machined 5, cat 40 holders to the numbers, prussian blued them up and they checked fine on the Fadal TRM Mill.

No, I do not sell, or have any interest in Fadal, or Prototrak.

Reguards,

Kap
Fadal Turn, Fadal Vmc 15, Prototrak 16 x 30 Cnc Lathe, Pratt and Whitney 16 x 54 lathe, Pratt and Whitney Vertical Shaper, G & E 16" Shaper, B & O Electric turret lathe, 36" Doall band saw,
Enco B.P. Clone, Bridgeport CNC Mill, Delta 12" Surface Grinder.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, all, for your comments. Since acquiring my Haas tool room mill I have a renewed interest in machining, and find the lathe fascinating. Not in the market, just curious, not understanding the ways of CNC well.

Harold
jim rozen

Post by jim rozen »

I did talk to the person responsible for picking that machine this afternoon. He mentioned
that as an NC lathe, it is a bit lacking because it only has four turret stations on the slide.
The specific comment was that there are other lathes (he mentioned mori seki in particular)
that do a much better job if one wanted a pure NC machine.

But this one is in pretty constant use however (the person mentioned he would like
to get on it, to try it out, but modelmakers were pretty much running it all the
time with jobs) and seems to be a bit of a workhorse.

Jim
Fullautomike

Post by Fullautomike »

Here it is. I have it apart to replace the feed engage lever boot. I also bought another M300 I found in so so condition for a few missing parts, like the thread indicator dial assembly and the back "chip gaurd" . I'm now gathering parts for a rotary phase converter to power it up. I'll post another picture when it is all together
Attachments
My Harrison M300 x 25
My Harrison M300 x 25
Mid Day Machining

Post by Mid Day Machining »

Mark Hockett wrote:Here's an old picture I took of my Haas, it now has a new high speed servo driven tool turret and single cam lever tail stock,

Here's my 13 X 40 Lux Matter manual lathe,

And my favorite lathe, a 7 X 12, set up for drilling very small holes,

Thats a 1" Jacobs ball bearing chuck
I bought a Haas TL1 at a divorce sale last summer that was too good to pass up. The machine has less than 40 hours on it and I got it for $9,000.00
You can buy good parts, or you can buy cheap parts, but you can't buy good cheap parts.
bg7m

Post by bg7m »

I have an old split bed Hardinge.
Attachments
HARDINGE31110.jpg
jim rozen

Post by jim rozen »

You are in good company sir, those split beds can be very nice indeed.

bg7m

Post by bg7m »

jim rozen wrote:You are in good company sir, those split beds can be very nice indeed.

Thanks, I am the guy that is selling you a Schaublin turret. I think I saw on this forum that you have a Schaublin cross slide on a P&W lathe. I like that P&W.