Show us your lathe!

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

neanderman

Re: Show us your lathe!

Post by neanderman »

Thanks, Glenn.

It is Town and Country Farm and Implement paint, available at TSC and Rural King. I used quart cans, thinned with their Reducer, and sprayed with a Binks gun.

I like the paint as far as application; we'll see how it holds up!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
spro

Post by spro »

The paint my brother used was Central Tractor, International Red. C.T. was consumed by or turned into T.S.C. He used the reducer and sprayed the paint using a separate air line with dryer and filter. The paint is really tough. Seen many seasons now without cracks or lifting.
Like 17 years being in the elements.
spro

Post by spro »

Back to Daltons. These are older than I thought. Info over at the "Friendly Machinist" site shows a project with a LA 4. It is more than 4" swing. The owner was compelled to repair the ends of his slides due to damage. He made some really good larger dials for the compound and cross slide. info is that Dalton ceased to exist in 1929 during the stock market collapse. Many of ours probably did see War Time production. It is good to know the pedigree and not own the wear that entailed. TONs were flat worn out and were replaced by more efficient machines but many survived for us.
There is a story I read many years ago where the operators of smaller machines as these, rescued them. Many were shipped off or went to scrap but some guys managed to get their machine out of there. We don't know the hot rods and the engines' development by lathes in somebody's garage or basement. The Uncle died or somebody died and the motorheads said wait a minute! You have a Lathe? ! Then they learned more and it went on.
Sunset Machine

Post by Sunset Machine »

Your last remark sure hit home, Spro. For years my grandsons have expressed little interest but last week the 18 year old asked me to show him how to run a lathe. He comes over daily now, sometimes brings his friends. :)
JackF

Post by JackF »

Sunset, good for you and your grandson. :) :)

Jack.
larry_g

Post by larry_g »

HPIM4132.JPG
My pair of Sheldons. One is 10" and one 13". Good machines.

lg
no neat sig line
I am unique, just like everyone else.
spro

Post by spro »

Man is that nice or what? I keep saying "bench models" That was how they were described but actual steel bench with drawers for attachments and tools is the way to go. I've never seen two Sheldons together nor actually touched one. I've read they are very good machines.
We know they are so similar in attachments like steady rests, people have been confused with South Bend parts.
I don't think this came easily. Salutes !
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Larry, are there any Sheldon model years that stand out as superior machines in their product line- particularly 13 or 14" swing models? I see Sheldons up for sale from time to time on CL and am thinking about upgrading to a larger machine.

Thanks
Glenn P.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Glenn Brooks wrote:Larry, are there any Sheldon model years that stand out as superior machines in their product line- particularly 13 or 14" swing models? I see Sheldons up for sale from time to time on CL and am thinking about upgrading to a larger machine.

Thanks
Glenn P.
Ha! I wondered when you'd feel that need to upgrade in machine size!
Glad to hear you are still working on your shop. 'Never ends...
~RN
pete

Post by pete »

FWIW Glenn there were a couple of long running Sheldon lathe rebuilding articles in the HSM magazine back in the early to mid 80's and again maybe around the mid 1990's? A whole LOT of work went into getting both those lathes back to new or maybe better than new condition and precision. From what I saw the lathes look to be very well built and pretty heavy duty for there size.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

I had a Sheldon 13", probably M model, for many years - a good machine.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

larry_g wrote:
My pair of Sheldons. One is 10" and one 13". Good machines.

lg
no neat sig line
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"