Grizzly MT5-to-5C adapter

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

tlfamm

Grizzly MT5-to-5C adapter

Post by tlfamm »

Since this has come up in several posts/forums, I thought I'd post this info, fresh from Grizz tech-support today:

"The collet adapter that adapts the spindle bore from a MT #5 taper to accept 5-C collets is available by part number. The part number is P4026001 Collet Adapter priced at $30.00 plus shipping and handling. The use of a drawtube or drawbar will still be necessary for the collet adapter to remain centered and stable in the spindle bore."
mechanicalmagic

Re: Grizzly MT5-to-5C adapter

Post by mechanicalmagic »

tlfamm wrote:Since this has come up in several posts/forums, I thought I'd post this info, fresh from Grizz tech-support today:

"The collet adapter that adapts the spindle bore from a MT #5 taper to accept 5-C collets is available by part number. The part number is P4026001 Collet Adapter priced at $30.00 plus shipping and handling. The use of a drawtube or drawbar will still be necessary for the collet adapter to remain centered and stable in the spindle bore."
I wish that post had come 10 years ago, before I bought my collet adapter for ~$300.... :( .

Dave J.
Every day I ask myself, "What's the most fun thing to do today."
9x48 BP clone, 12x36 lathe, TIG, MIG, Gas, 3 in 1 sheetmetal.
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

Good job ,tlfamm ! I knew mine came from Grizzly , but darned if I could find the part # . CRS for sure .I made the draw tube from DOM tubing and added the thrust bearing for ease of operation . First time cutting internal threads . Handy as a pocket on a shirt . Use it almost as much as the 4 jaw .
The more I learn , The more I don't know !
tlfamm

Post by tlfamm »

coal miner wrote:Good job ,tlfamm ! I knew mine came from Grizzly , but darned if I could find the part # . CRS for sure .I made the draw tube from DOM tubing and added the thrust bearing for ease of operation . First time cutting internal threads . Handy as a pocket on a shirt . Use it almost as much as the 4 jaw .

Pictures, pictures, pictures ... :)
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

Don't have any pics other than the other post . Do a Google or search this site for making a drawbar for 5C . Should get some hits to use for ideas , dimensions and pics . If not , let me know and I'll see what I can come up with .
tlfamm

Post by tlfamm »

Ah - I rediscovered Chris Long's photos of his shop-built collet-closer, available on this page:

http://www.the-long-family.com/tooling.htm

It was he who first mentioned the Grizzly MT5/5C adapter to me last summer ...
david5605

Post by david5605 »

coal miner, or anyone else...can you tell me what the diameter of the big end (behind the flange)of the MT5 to 5c grizzly adapter is?

I have a lathe with a MT5 hole and its diameter is 1.733". I bought a adapter off ebay a few years ago and it was too small for my bore by about .100" :roll: and yes, it was a mt5 to 5c adapter.

I solved my immediate problem by picking up a jacobs 900 hub with the rubberflex collets for a good price. but the right adapter would let me cobble up a Royal quick release setup that I have to round out my tool choices.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

In theory, a MT5 shank should be about 1.748" on the big end.

Perhaps your adaptor was "modified" prior to being sold on eBay. :wink: Not that that would ever happen!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
S.L.Schroder

Post by S.L.Schroder »

I have a question for those of you who have the adapter. How far does the whole unit stick out from the spindle nose? I have a early 80's Jet 12 x 40 PY. If the collet sits very close to the end of the spindle, I don't think I have enough movement in the carraige to reach it. Wow, English really is my first language! I am trying to say that I can not get a cutting tool to reach the spindle. I can't move close enough to the head stock. I am hoping that the adapter sticks out about as far as a chuck does. Hope this make sense. Thanks Scott. ps a picture would help.

yes my spindle has a mt5
tlfamm

Post by tlfamm »

Tools4cheap also sells the adapter; see picture (with measuring rule):

http://www.tools4cheap.net/proddetail.p ... =5cnosemt5
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

S.L.Schroder wrote:Y. If the collet sits very close to the end of the spindle, I don't think I have enough movement in the carraige to reach it.
Just put the 4 jaw SB back on this morning or I would take a pic . IIRC the 5C adapter outer end is around 1" to 1-1/2 " from the face of the D1-4 mount . I have to watch when I work close to the spindle nose but there or several ways around this . Changing the angle of the compound on the cross slide , advancing the compound towards the end of its travel , and sliding the QCTP to the left side of the compound mount . Any or all of these changes should let you get close to the spindle nose . I am able to work right up next to the collet on my GH 14x40 Jet lathe w/ mt5 spindle . As you stated the carriage will hit the gearbox housing and then you could have a big prob . Th carriage hitting the headstock will create a shearing action on the feed screw and thank goodness I have a shear pin on mine . Don't ask me how I know . I do have a supply of brass and aluminum ones .
rhjph

Post by rhjph »

This adaptor (P4026001) has gone up in the intervening years from US$29.50 to US$122.50 (and is only obtainable in the US). No longer an economical proposition, I'd say.