She's finally home...went and got my new 11" Logan.

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

kazlx

She's finally home...went and got my new 11" Logan.

Post by kazlx »

I put a deposit on this lathe over a month ago. I knew it was exactly what I wanted when I saw the pictures and it was exactly what I wanted when I showed up. The transaction was as easy as can be and the seller was a genuine nice guy. It pays off to be persistent and wait to find what you are looking for. I think it will be a great lathe to start off with and I have a ton to learn.

I live in Orange County, CA and the lathe was is San Luis Obispo, about 4 hours north of me. I rented a trailer and headed up. Had planned on staying in a hotel and meeting the seller in the morning, but got into town about 7:30 pm last night and decided to just pick it up then. After about two hours of instructional help from the seller and us loading into a trailer, it started to lightly drizzle. There was a Wal-Mart right around the corner, I picked up a tarp and some bungees, covered it up and was on my way.

Got back to my house and parked the trailer in the driveway and within a few hours the pouring rain had followed me home. It broke for about 30 minutes, just long enough for me and 3 friends to unload it and then continued to pour after I got it safely in the garage.

Waiting for my VFD to get it some power and I will be on my way. I'm stoked and have a ton to learn.

It's a Logan 11" Model 1955. I'm looking to learn as much about it and lathes in general as I go along. A few pics :)
Attachments
Image00001.jpg
Image00002.jpg
Conrad_R_Hoffman

Re: She's finally home...went and got my new 11" Logan.

Post by Conrad_R_Hoffman »

Very nice! I think you're going to have a lot of fun.

Best,
Conrad

1947 Logan 211 Lathe, Grizzly G1006 mill/drill, Clausing DP,
Boyar-Schultz 612H surface grinder, Sunnen hone, import
bandsaw, lots of measurement stuff, cutters, clutter & stuff.

"May the root sum of the squares of the Forces be with you."
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Congrats!

That looks to be a very nice lathe, and in nice condition!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
dly31

Post by dly31 »

That looks like a good Logan and I am sure you will enjoy it a lot.

Don Young
Don Young
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Nice!! What does a Logan 11" weigh?
A Bona Fide Soggy Bottom Boy
wm460

Post by wm460 »

Congrats on you new toy.
kazlx

Post by kazlx »

Bolster wrote:Nice!! What does a Logan 11" weigh?

I think it's right around 800 lbs. The cabinet definitely adds to the weight. I was able to load and unload it on the trailer (the way to go for $25) with a couple friends, some furniture dollies and a digging bar to use as a big pry bar (which was quite handy).

The seller turned and faced some scrap stainless bar for me and it looks fantastic. The only thing I can see myself getting shortly is a QCTP. My VFD will be here Monday so I can get it wired up.
EvilTwin

Post by EvilTwin »

Very cool. I've got the identical model machine waiting on me about 7 states away so I'm a bit jealous of yours.
Old Grandad

Post by Old Grandad »

Looks like you made a good find. Enjoy!!!!
Tom
blackdog

Post by blackdog »

In the category of it's a small world....I was at a sale last week in Costa Mesa where the same model Logan was being offered. You could have saved a little gas money but I don't think it was quite as clean as the one you got.
David
JackF

Post by JackF »

Kazix,

That is beautiful and you will have a ball learning on that machine. A friend of mine started his commercial shop with a logan just like that one about 50 years ago. He is retired now and sadly in an adult care home. I met him about 2 years before he retired and he is the one who got me into this machining hobby. :D I visit him 1 to 2 times a week if at all possible and I wish more of his friends would do the same. It's sad. :(

Jack.

P.S. Happy New Year
Lodsb

Post by Lodsb »

I paid $1200 for one of those ~20 years ago and still have it (and the manual). The lathe has gone though 2 sets of spindle bearings in that time, the last set installed two years ago. I'm using ABEC-3's but would go ABEC-5 if they could be found at a reasonable price. I think this last ABEC-3 set cost $100 or so.

The finest feed setting on mine was apparently too slow for the previous owner and it went unattended, breaking a little QC gear. No idea what that fine of feed is for -- I've never fixed the gear though I did make a set of metric transposing gears for it "just in case". I've never used them though.

The lathes come with different feed screw gear configurations, mine has a 72 tooth "safety gear" and it's gone clack-clack more than once (something to do with a .250 DOC in steel perhaps). The machine has given me really no problems in all those years, other than the spindle bearings.

The apron is supposed to be full of oil, btw. There is a oil level hole in the front right corner, plugged with a setscrew about two inches up(?). You can fill it through the big bolt hole on the top left of the apron. None of this is obvious.