Southbend 14 X 40 Gear Head Lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Pipescs

Re: Southbend 14 X 40 Gear Head Lathe

Post by Pipescs »

crazyelece

As to your apron being low on oil. As easy as it was to remove, I would recommend your pulling it. If nothing else to check the bottom for trash. When I pressure washed mine I found a good pound of trash and shavings in the bottom with some really sludgy oil. After cleaning it out and replacing the broken felt oiler I feel comfortable it will run my lifetime without needing major work.

Wont be too many more photos here as the train is almost into the station on this trip. I thought I would do a different tread on setting up the three phase system as that is going to be a new experiance for me also.

Thanks to everyone for all the input and help with this project

Day one, or as the wife said "What have you drug home now?"
DSC_0028.jpg
Last night when she said "At least it smells better".
DSC_0014.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Pipescs,

Are you paying attention here?

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 43&t=89575
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Thanks for the tip.

Trouble is that in my searching I have become intimate with something call shipping.
With the high cost of fuel trucking options have become expensive. Also dealing with the weight of a mill getting it from the truck into my basement means handling issues.

I have limited my search to the area within 150 mile radius of the house so that I can one go look at it prior to dropping the money on it and two being able to haul it myself.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

The lathe is done as far as I can go without power.

DSC_0021.jpg

I still have to clean and paint the steady rest but it can go in my spare time.

In the mean time I have looked at two milling machines. I have made up my mind not to settle on a reconstruction project again. Too many hidden cost with parts and such. I will continue to save my play money until I find one I can use right off the bat.

The three phase power generation is my new project. I have a seven and a half horse power motor that the previous owner had mounted on a vertical stand in preperation for its use as an idler motor. I have also found a capacitor start circuit on the net that I like.

Planning on mounting the motor under a sub pannel I have in the shop with a stop and start switch on the face for the idler. I will use the existing switch on the lathe to turn it on.
DSC_0022.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Well

I decided not to do another thread covering the three phase power. I will put it here to show the trials of working with junk.

To start with, I finally found a setup for starting the idler motor on line that I liked, I modified it to use a twenty four volt control circuit as that was the size transformer I had for the relays. I ended up getting three phase contactors at a good price and this gave me an auxillary contactor on each unit.
DSC_0089.jpg
The left contactor is the main controller with the right one switching in the start capacitors as when the start switch is held down. Once the Start Capacitor contactor kicks in it locks the left contactor in until the stop button is pushed. The start capacitors drop out once the start button is released.
DSC_0088.jpg
I still have to put the two 350Mfd Caps in place and add a bit more wiring.

when I went to mount the controller under the breaker box I had to move the motor to make room. You know, the one I got a good deal on from the blacksmith that sold me the lathe. Well in moving it I took off the fan cover and turned it over. Sounded like it was full of sand. Turns out maybe you should look a gift horse in the mouth after all. After pulling it apart I find it is full of rust.
DSC_0090.jpg
DSC_0091.jpg
Rust that poured out on the floor.
DSC_0092.jpg

It may be savable but that will depend on the ohm readings for the windings. They look rough but I cannot tell by looking and the second letdown tonight is that my ohm meter is down.

Maybe tomorrow.

Betting right now that I am in the market for another motor.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Well the motor was not salvageable. I found one on Ebay for 150 that cost half that to ship it.

In the mean time I have decided to follow the idea of mounting the motor under the table with the controller mounted to the back of the belt cover. Then only run single Phase to the lathe. If I find a mill I can then run the three phase lines from the lathe to it.

Found a grinder for zero dollars for it but now have to find out about grinding wheels and where to get them. It runs but the cord is in bad shape and I will also need to locate a source for belts for it. I am sure this one will fail should I try to use it.
Grinder.jpg
Grinder (3).jpg
Also found a wedge type toolpost package to stick on it.
TOOL POST (3).jpg
I still have a panel and the center rest to paint but I am getting there.

I am also still looking for a good level to set it in place with
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Idler motor showed up today. With all the storm issues going on I will be a few days getting to it.
Motor (2).jpg
I am definitly mounting it under the lathe to take up less space. I will also be able to save the cost of the wiring to the lathe as I can use 3-10 to bring in the single phase.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

That will work, I used a 10hp version in my last RPC build. But in general the higher mass "Standard Efficiency" 1750 (or slower) are preferred for idlers.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Plenty of room for the motor under the table
Idler Motor (2).jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

The control is now mounted on the back side of the lathe. I may end up moving the idler start and stop switches to a box on the front.

I have the motor mounted under the lathe and have started running the final wiring. I found the start capacitors I needed locally.

Last night the wife smelled smoke inthe washing room and I found our two hundred amp main in the melt down stage. I had to have the power disconnected at one thirty in the morning with the wife and kids headed to grandmothers house. I pulled the main and had a new one in place by eight thirty this morning. The main contactors had fried.

Needless to say I am glad all this happened prior to me hooking in the three phase because I would have believed I somehow caused it.
Three Phase (3).jpg
Three Phase.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Nicely done
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
JackF

Post by JackF »

Pipescs,
Was wondering how the contactor on the right that activates the start capacitors locks in the main contactor. Also,it looks like you don't use run Caps. Could you possibly attach the wireing diagram for your RPC? I am thinking or re-doing my RPC and like the simplicity of yours.

Jack.
Last edited by JackF on Sun May 08, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.