Threading on the back side of lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

dly31

Re: Threading on the back side of lathe

Post by dly31 »

I suspect that many lathes do not handle upward lifting forces on the carriage well, though I am sure some do it without any problems. There could also be a problem getting the tool high enough for the bottom to be on the spindle centerline, depending on the type of tool and holder.
Don Young
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

dly31 wrote:I suspect that many lathes do not handle upward lifting forces on the carriage well, though I am sure some do it without any problems. There could also be a problem getting the tool high enough for the bottom to be on the spindle centerline, depending on the type of tool and holder.
Heh! That brings back fond memories of one of he guys that were instrumental in my formative years. Albert VanWoerden, now deceased. He was an excellent lathe hand---and often ran the spindle in reverse with the bit upside-down. Claimed it was a good way to control chatter. Never tried it myself. My lathe doesn't lend itself to the setup.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
fonzy

Post by fonzy »

Tubalcain on YouTube has a video covering threading away from a shoulder [tool upside down fed toward the tailstock] But, he has the tool on the frontside of the lathe. he also mentions, and so will I, if it has not been mentioned here yet...NEVER RUN {cut work} A LATHE IN REVERSE> IF YOU HAVE A THREADED ON CHUCK>YOU CAN SPIN THE CHUCK OFF!

here is the video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2eWqeyO ... ideo_title
1969 Logan 1875 POWERMATIC 10" lathe, 1996 HF "MILL DRILL" Both with 20 year+ accumulative tooling!
Horz/Vert bandsaw AC/DC Stick Welder small wirefeed welder Oxy Acety Weld/cut ect.,
SEE MY INFORMATIVE VIDEOS AT http://www.youtube.com/user/alpho52