Jet 1430 What Have I gotten into?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Pipescs

Jet 1430 What Have I gotten into?

Post by Pipescs »

In purchasing a Bridgeport in Elgin Alabama I ended up having to take a Jet 1430 as the owner would not split them up.

I do not need the lathe and was going to sell it to a friends son. I am uncomfortable selling it to him as I am starting to see a trend with it.

I have been unable to find a manual for it on line. I am also hearing that you cannot get parts for it. It is a 1979 model with everything on it working so at the most I will sand it down and add it to the shop.

First thing I am attempting to do is get the chuck off which by best estimate has been in place for ten years. Any advise o the project would be greatly appreciated.
DSC_0217.jpg
DSC_0220.jpg
Attachments
DSC_0221.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
hammermill

Re: Jet 1430 What Have I gotten into?

Post by hammermill »

well jet still is in business???? and they are not a uncommon machine so manuals must exist. from the views it looks to be a threaded spindle and not the d3 or d4 mounts we see now a days.
spro

Post by spro »

I'm pretty sure it has a tapered nose spindle and the lock ring shown in pic 3 pulls it tight.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

if the chucked turned a few degrees you could tell. if its a square hole i woulds suspect the d mount

a notch or pin hole spro may be right.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

These are actually a pretty nice lathe with hard ways. Spindle is an A1-5 mount. You have to unbolt the chuck from the adapter plate and then unbolt the adapter plate from the spindle. It would be best if you got direct mount A1-5 chucks which would make changing the chucks easier. The one I used was green in color. If you remove the top cover you will find it has a 2 bearing spindle and uses a splash oiling system. It does have heat treated gears which are pretty impressive for a lathe of this size. As I recall its a 2 HP 3 phase and doesn't like to run over 500 RPM with a static converter, due to the amount of mass that needs to get moving on start up. If you run it a lot at one time the bearings get over tight and you have to loosen the bearing adjustment on the back of the spindle. Fairly easy to hold a .0005 tolerance with it. Looks like you are missing the cover for the oiling felt on the quick change gear box. I would keep it also it’s a handy size lathe, although I did set the tail stock on the bench a few times due to the 30" centers. Nice find, but it would look better if it was at my house though. I might still have a manual around for it, but i am not sure where to look for it off hand. I also may have returned the manual to its owner.

Richard W.

BTW Parts were not available back in the mid 1980"S. You pretty much have to make anything you may need for it.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Thanks Richard W

The chuck came off as you said. Very tight fit after I pulled the bolts. Took a rubber mallet to pull it free. The owner before me had it ten years and never pulled the chuck. I expected more rust.

Will look for a faceplate and four jaw for it. The three jaw only came with the one set of jaws so I may be looking for one of those.

I ment to sell this but have really taking a liking to it after turning two adapters for a friends gearshift knobs. The controls are laid out nicely and it is as you say a nice size piece of equipment.

It seems tight and most of the scraping is still visible. What did the cover over the felt look like?
Chuck.jpg
Chuck (2).jpg
Chuck (3).jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

By the way the original color was green. Whowever slapped the coat of blue on it did not paint inside the electrical panel.

As you say I have all the main components and eveything works at this point. The electrical panel is pretty simple with only a couple of contactors and microswitches powered by a multi tapped transformer. Pretty easy things to replace if I dont break it.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
dly31

Post by dly31 »

I know absolutely nothing about that lathe but it sure looks to me like you only removed the chuck from its backing plate which is still on the spindle. That notch on the spindle looks like it is for a spanner to unscrew a retaining ring such as used on the L** type of spindle nose.

Those four pins in the face makes it look like a D1-* mount but I do not see anything that looks like the locking cams for those.

Of course if I'm wrong it won't be the first time!
Don Young
spro

Post by spro »

Don you're thinking like I was in the earlier pics. Now I see that "notch" is a pocket in the front bearing housing so the cap screws of the chuck can be removed. Then there are 4 more bolts which go to hold the backplate- previous described. Seems awkward to me.
mechanicalmagic

Post by mechanicalmagic »

Up a few posts, this was called a "A1-5 chuck mount".
Thought I'd post the dimensions for all to see.

American Chuck Mounts

Dave J.
Every day I ask myself, "What's the most fun thing to do today."
9x48 BP clone, 12x36 lathe, TIG, MIG, Gas, 3 in 1 sheetmetal.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

here is how i would expect a newer style d1-4 to look like the need to loosten the lock collar with a spanner seems aparent at this time. you have temoved the chuck from its backing plate.

notice the square holes behind the chuck that is how you unlock the pins.

this may help the parts question http://www.ereplacementparts.com/jet-gh ... 34397.html
Attachments
OMD pics.jpg
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

Pipescs wrote:Thanks Richard W

It seems tight and most of the scraping is still visible. What did the cover over the felt look like?
It was made of heavy sheet metal and was the entire length of the gear box. It was as wide enough to go from resting against the head stock to the seam where the front of the quick change attaches. It had two ends and was about 1/2" thick in the back against the headstock and taper to about 3/16 of an inch thick toward the face of the quick change. Seemed to me it had 2 dowel pins to hold it in place also. Also had a couple of knobs to lift it off for oiling.

Does it still have the heavy break in oil in the headstock? It was to have the heavy oil used in the headstock for XX number of hours (might have been 80 hours of use.)use and then to be drained and filled with a lighter grade of oil. Sorry I don't remember the hours or grade of oil required to refill it. I think it may have been one of the lighter hydraulic oils.

Another thing to watch out for is the carriage lock. If you move the carriage all the way over to the tailstock and go to crank it back, the clamp under the ways comes off its resting spot and cocks on the rack if my memory serves me right. One fellow engauaged the feed and the lock had cocked and he stripped the bronze gear in the apron. I think this may have happened when the tailstock was removed to bore a long part. You may want to check this out and mount a dummy block so it doesn't happen to you in the future. That's when we found out that parts were no longer avaiable back in the mid 1980"S.

When you get a chance look at the gears in the head stock. I was really impressed to see such thick heat treated gears on a lathe of that size. I assume you have the 2+ inch spindle bore?

Richard W.
Last edited by Richard_W on Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.