Lathe Wiggler Buy or Build?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Lathe Wiggler Buy or Build?

Post by SteveHGraham »

Does anyone know where I can get a lathe wiggler? Alternatively, plans would be nice. It's not rocket science, but someone else has probably come up with better plans than I would.

I have a center finder. One of those wobbly things you chuck in a 1/2" collet. To use that, I'd have to use a drill chuck in the lathe tailstock, and I think that would introduce a lot of error compared to a wiggler. I like wigglers because it doesn't matter where the pivot is. You don't have to line it up with the lathe axis.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
GlennW

Re: Lathe Wiggler Buy or Build?

Post by GlennW »

A lathe wiggler (if used properly) does not align the part with the tailstock axis or drill chuck, it aligns it with the spindle axis.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I know!
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

SteveHGraham wrote:I have a center finder. One of those wobbly things you chuck in a 1/2" collet. To use that, I'd have to use a drill chuck in the lathe tailstock, and I think that would introduce a lot of error ...
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I don't know exactly what the misunderstanding is, but you are definitely misunderstanding.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

When you mention "wobbly thing" are you not referring to a wiggler that you would use in a mill spindle?
Glenn

SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I'm talking about a device you put on your cross slide to allow you to align a part so a punched mark on the part is on the lathe's axis of rotation. It's a long wire with a point on one end. It goes through a part that allows it to wobble, a short distance from the part held in the chuck. The point goes into the punch hole. The far end wobbles around until you line the punch hole up with the axis of rotation. You use it with a 4-jaw chuck, or I guess you could use it on a faceplate.

Say you want to put a bore around a mark on a square plate, centered 1/4" from the middle of the square. This thing will center the bore around the lathe's axis.

I can't find a video, but here's a dead Ebay link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Centre-Finder ... 0972857952
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I've got all of that...

I'm trying to understand why you think it would introduce error by being held in a tailstock chuck as opposed to a mill spindle.

Perhaps it might help if you define what a "wobbly thing" is.
Glenn

ken572

Post by ken572 »

Good Morning :!: Steve. :D

Here is one for your perusal 8)

http://www.toolsandmods.com/lathe/mini- ... ter-finder

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Glenn, I was talking about two different tools. I think that's where you got confused. I don't want to get caught up in a side discussion. Just forget that sentence. All I care about is finding a lathe wiggler. I think it's a neat tool.

The tool I already have will work, and after I put up the first post, I realized it won't depend on tailstock location, but I want something that mounts on the cross slide. I don't want to shove the tailstock around if I don't have to. For one thing, it could knock my beer over.

I appreciate the link, Ken, but that's not it. If you check the PM link, you'll see.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Simple solution..."here, hold my beer", but you would need someone you could trust!!
Glenn