installing quil on mill drill

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: Harold_V, GlennW

spro

Re: installing quil on mill drill

Post by spro » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:16 am

I hope it is okay to note a certain point within a great reply. If the shaft is bent and the bearing is still tight, the bearing will rack to angle when pulled out. These bearings are cheap but the housings aren't and the race could fairly core out the housing by extraction. Not saying it will. Sets of feeler gauges used to be right inexpensive.

elewayne

Re: installing quil on mill drill

Post by elewayne » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:55 pm

i've been out of town for a few days. Are you talking about when I pulled the bearings and shaft from the cast housing? That might have done something to the housing hole? Would I check that with and inside dia, feeler gunge? I'm not sure yet, but I suspect any bend in the shaft is ahead of the bearings. Hopefully any bend is in the 1/2 dia end of the shaft. Its weakest part. Kind of wondering how I'll get those bearings and shaft pressed back in that hole, without damaging the casting somehow.