Kao Fong Mill Rebuild, getting this off the work bench!

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

rakort

Re: Kao Fong Mill Rebuild, getting this off the work bench!

Post by rakort »

Well good that 56 is moving. Yes, this holds the torsion spring behind it. Maybe it is stuck in it.

If 57 doesn't come out, there are two threaded holes (at least on mine) that you run screws into to jack it off the shaft. Also note, there should be a small set screw on 57 that holds it to the shaft!

yes maybe assemble 56/7 on the shaft and after the shaft is in place then you tension the spring by twisting it (then putting in the screws) to set the tension that retracts the quill

yes to the right, side with the lever

show me the picture of the oiler you have, but yes, on mine, the oil tube does do a u turn, goes up, and the oil drips through all the bearings (counting in my head....yes 5 of them). It's called a total loss lubrication system. All my bearings are open.....except for the 6th one at the top top which you may not have.
Utah Smitty

Post by Utah Smitty »

The attached pictures show the Dritz oiler... When I pulled the top pulley off, I noticed a hole at the front of the bore that the bearing is seated in. It's at about 10 o'clock in the 2nd picture.

I stuck a thin screwdriver down the hole, and it went in the full 2" length of the screwdriver blade.

And, as you can see, the bearing is open, and doesn't appear to have any lube. When turning the spindle 360 degrees, a "catch" is felt at one point in the rotation.

The machine sat for quite a while--both in the warehouse where I got it, and in my shop before I used it. I did oil the Dritz oiler, but assumed it was just for the outside of the spindle quill... I had spoken to a technician at Grizzly about it due to my machine being similar to Grizzly machine, and was told that the bearings are packed in grease like an automotive spindle bearing...

The collar on the bottom of the spindle has two holes through it, and I often found oil collecting on the spindle there, so I would think that I have a total loss lube system as well.

One question: Would it be a good idea to perhaps install a drip-type oiler in lieu of the Dritz oiler, or perhaps a One shot oiler for the top of the lathe? It already has one for the bed ways.

Regards,

Smitty
Attachments
Note the Dritz oiler on the left upper side of the picture.
Note the Dritz oiler on the left upper side of the picture.
Notice the hole at approx. 10 o'clock in the mill head... you can also see part of the oiler, and the tube that leads into the mill head.
Notice the hole at approx. 10 o'clock in the mill head... you can also see part of the oiler, and the tube that leads into the mill head.
rakort

Post by rakort »

>I noticed a hole at the front of the bore that the bearing is seated in. It's at about 10 o'clock in the 2nd picture.

Yup, that's how the oil gets up and then spills over into the bearings..

>I had spoken to a technician at Grizzly about it due to my machine being similar to Grizzly machine, and was told that the
>bearings are packed in grease like an automotive spindle bearing...

Not this machine or mine for that matter....only some are packed with grease.

>The collar on the bottom of the spindle has two holes through it, and I often found oil collecting on the
>spindle there, so I would think that I have a total loss lube system as well.

Yes, that is where the oil ends up....dripping out the two holes in the bottom.

>Would it be a good idea to perhaps install a drip-type oiler in lieu of the Dritz oiler,

I would use a drip oiler.
Utah Smitty

Post by Utah Smitty »

Thanks Brian...

Due to your pictures, I was able to get the spindle out of the head... I still haven't pressed the bearings out, but I will get to that as soon as I figure out how to get the internal snap ring that holds the upper bearings out of the head. I've ordered a set of long snap ring pliers to use on it--I don't see any other way. I thought the bearings could be pushed out through the top, but it appears that the top bearing is seated against the threaded portion of the head.

Anyway, thanks for your help...

Regards,

Smitty
Utah Smitty

Post by Utah Smitty »

Utah Smitty wrote:Thanks Brian...

Due to your pictures, I was able to get the spindle out of the head... I still haven't pressed the bearings out, but I will get to that as soon as I figure out how to get the internal snap ring that holds the upper bearings out of the head. I've ordered a set of long snap ring pliers to use on it--I don't see any other way. I thought the bearings could be pushed out through the top, but it appears that the top bearing is seated against the threaded portion of the head.

Anyway, thanks for your help...

Regards,

Smitty

Just a quick follow-up note to anyone rebuilding a similar machine... the spindle presses out through the TOP of the outer spindle "sleeve" going past the threaded portion I was concerned about.

Smitty
rakort

Post by rakort »

Here is an update of what has been going on lately.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/119635371@N02/
spro

Post by spro »

I just have to say you have done remarkably fine tune-up restoration to your mill. Better than new. I looked at the photos at your link and see a few other things worth noting. One thing is using an X-Y slide rotary table to the mill table. I did the same thing with a Craftsman (probably Palmgren )..
rakort

Post by rakort »

Thanks! The rotary table was scrap iron when I got it, now it is actually a useful semi-precision piece.

The whole x-y dove tail slide thing under these things was a bad idea! Cut that junk off and put some steel under it.
spro

Post by spro »

These rotary tables with slides were made for drill presses. They are so dang good as flat rotary tables, it makes sense. I am so anal that I would probably want to keep it intact, however, I found one at an estate sale without the slides. I don't see how they can be hurt to the original design, as the "flat" is part of the dovetail. If the flat is trued near perfect to the table, that part is better than before and perfect for our use. :)
spro

Post by spro »

It occurs that many may read this. There is a problem with the way the table is locked. I changed that for I found it shifted off center.
spro

Post by spro »

Dang ! This thread went off center.. :(
rakort

Post by rakort »

do tell me more.

I thought the locking mechanism sucked. I made a few improvements, but still not rock solid. It didn't shift off center, but may not resist rotation very well.

Let's see the pixs