How to hold a replacement vise jaw.

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

Re: How to hold a replacement vise jaw.

Post by earlgo »

The angle plate is a commercial section that is ground flat on the dumb side. If the angle plate is turned around with the vise on the back, there is very little in-and-out travel. The swivel base was expedient to get the jaws in the right orientation.
There is quite a bit of up-and-down travel so I really like your idea of a base plate full of threaded holes clamped/bolted to the single slot. Wish that I had thought of that.
This is why I asked for suggestions because of the flimsy setup.
Thanks again.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Follow up:
Here are the vise jaws being notched for the special fixture.
Cutting notches.JPG
And here is the grinding fixture holding a special firing pin that has 3 flats in the same orientation. They could have been cut by hand, but what is the fun in that.
How it's used.JPG
Now I can hold small round things parallel to the jaws and close to the top without their shooting off into the corner under the bench. BONUS. :D

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

earlgo wrote:
One of my thoughts was to clamp the part face to the face of a 4" angle, clamped crotch down on the table, but I didn't take the time to do that. It would have allowed the use of the arbor and a wheel cutter.
ANGLE_JAW.jpg
Oh well, next time.
--earlgo
Structural steel angles don't have precise 90° angles.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

You are correct. They just need to be tweaked a bit. This is the big structural angle I use to mount the vise when it was in process.
Angle.jpg
The smaller angle I had in mind had already been 'adjusted'. :) A flat surface and a few shims and one can get to 45° with a little care.
--earlgo