Horizontal milling operations -Burke #4

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Jaxian

Re: Horizontal milling operations -Burke #4

Post by Jaxian »

Nothing like a horizontal to move metal. When you get comfortable get yourself a good size key seat cutter and cut some key slots! :D
12 in face mill small.jpg
Just kidding. This is actually just a face mill mounted upside down on a 2" arbor to do a bottom facing op. I have a bunch of 10" face mills but have a job coming up to square up the bogie, (or truck? I don't know the right term), on a train that is crabbing a bit. Wasn't sure how big it was but figured a 12" Kennametal face mill would at least give me a bit more reach if he wants to do a whole side in one pass. Plus it was basically free as who on earth needs cutters this large any more. Thankfully takes standard square inserts instead of proprietary ones like my one older 10" T-Max. Luckily Sandvik changed to standard inserts later so my other T-Max's are easy to get inserts for.

Looks just right sitting on the 18" width table on my machine. Finally something other than the vise that doesn't look lost up there. Might have to put the vertical head on for this, not sure, huge pain as it requires an overhead hoist to lift into position but I want to give them as many options to do it like they want as possible.