lagun mill ftv1

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

camarobuilder

lagun mill ftv1

Post by camarobuilder »

i'm buying a lagun mill that only has about 500 hrs on it but was jammed into vise by power feed and locked up the head.
can anyone give me advice on what might be the cause before I tear it apart
SteveHGraham

Re: lagun mill ftv1

Post by SteveHGraham »

How screwed up is it? I assume you've already tried loosening the tramming nuts and bopping the spindle with a deadblow hammer. I have never looked inside that part of my mill's head, but presumably the problem is where the adjusting worm meshes with the gear on the head. Maybe it's just stuck between teeth.

If it's like a BP, the worm is part of the head, and the adjusting gear is part of the base. The BP gear is held on with a single socket head cap screw and a hardened pin. I guess the fun part is lifting the head off the machine to replace it.

There are PDF manuals all over the web, if you want pictures. They're not very good, but they're pictures.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Not enough info !! Power down feed or table feed. Most vertical clones of a BP have a overload clutch on the power down feed that should have released untill feed was backed off. I'm thinking there is more to this story than you were told.
www.chaski.com
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I would look at a parts diagram.
camarobuilder

Post by camarobuilder »

i'm also thinking there's more to the story but for a 6 yr old mill with digital readout for 1000 bucks I didn't think I could go wrong. bringing it home tomorrow so i'll know more in a few days
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

camarobuilder wrote: but was jammed into vise by power feed and locked up the head.
That could mean a umber of things, as Steve and John have already pointed out!. :?

Spindle locked up?

Quill locked up?

Tilt or nod locked up?
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
camarobuilder

Post by camarobuilder »

spindle is what is locked
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Next ? step pulley or VS ?
www.chaski.com
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

If the manual I found online means anything, it's variable speed.

Can you tell us what exactly you mean by "locked up"? It sounds like you're saying it won't turn. Maybe you need to get Lagun's instructions for removing and changing the belt so you can open it up and see if you can see what's jammed.

Was the quill up or down when the crash occurred? Can you turn the drawbar when the hi/lo lever is disengaged?
camarobuilder

Post by camarobuilder »

I found the problem,the spacer that goes on top of the bearing had been placed under it.whoever wrecked it wasn't paying attention when they put it together.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

camarobuilder wrote:I found the problem,the spacer that goes on top of the bearing had been placed under it.whoever wrecked it wasn't paying attention when they put it together.
That could be bad news. Depending on how the bearings are preloaded, one or more could have been disassembled when the spindle was assembled. The bearings can be reassembled, but the damage will already have been done. If it was, you can expect the spindle to be noisy, although it may run.

Harold

Edit: an explanation. When the above happens, the races get brinelled, which causes the noise. The damage caused may or may not be evident by visual examination.
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.