wells index model 40H spindle pulley

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Trip

wells index model 40H spindle pulley

Post by Trip »

Can't figure out how to remove the spindle drive pulley . It has a couple of chips that I would like to repair .
spro

Re: wells index model 40H spindle pulley

Post by spro »

I haven't owned a Wells Index #40H but before that was Index. This is stuff from reading on Practical Machinist and combining it with UKlathes information. Banks & Buxton was between Index and Wells index on the model 40. Much info you read may be for Banks & Buxton and that may relate to a bearing retainer. It is better explained some years ago on P.M. but there are pressed in bearings and there was a retainer plate for the lower bearing. There is a hole in the casting where you can find the screws to unlock this retainer plate.
Trip

Post by Trip »

ok thanks for the info I will see if I can get it apart tonight
Trip

Post by Trip »

Well I finally got it off its a press fit no set screw or anything . I just used a pulley puller and it and the bearing came off together .
Trip

Post by Trip »

adding a pic of the mill
40H.jpg
spro

Post by spro »

It is good to see an Index #40 mill all cleaned up and fresh. The picture doesn't show but it has a substantial base platform. Index also had the huge knee which increases the stability of the table. I didn't mean to lead you wrong about a lock screw or anything, just trying to piece together info. These mills were very popular in the early 1950's. That size vertical mills with tilting heads, were pioneers into vertical milling as a stand alone vertical mill.
Trip

Post by Trip »

No worries man I appreciate the effort at least you tried to help thanks again . as far as the mill is concerned it must have been rebuilt at some point . Most of the hand scraping is still prominent and it is smooth in all axis . Its a very stout machine for its size and I couldn't be happier with its performance so far .