What is this CAT40 tool?

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Rex

What is this CAT40 tool?

Post by Rex »

I got this in a batch of other pieces. I'm trying to figure out what it is.
It sort of looks like a flycutter, but not like any I've seen. The two set screws are an inch apart and oppose the large threaded hole at either side, as though they are to adjust the cant of something as it pivots on the larger screw.

Any ideas?
IMG_2365.JPG
IMG_2364.JPG
IMG_2363.JPG
choprboy

Re: What is this CAT40 tool?

Post by choprboy »

Basing on what I have plans to make out of a morse taper stub... someone's custom spade drill bit holder? The screws being the alignment pins and the large hole for a set screw to lock it in place?
Rex

Post by Rex »

Interesting thought.
It would drill a shallow hole, at best
Ianagos

Post by Ianagos »

Looks to me like a nmtb 40 or nt 40 definitely not cat 40.

But the big hole is just there because someone made that flycutter holder from a regular endmill holder it seems. They are cheap and you could easily make a rigid flycutter from it.

Rex

Post by Rex »

Ianagos wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:44 am Looks to me like a nmtb 40 or nt 40 definitely not cat 40.

But the big hole is just there because someone made that flycutter holder from a regular endmill holder it seems. They are cheap and you could easily make a rigid flycutter from it.
I knew it was 40 taper, but I don't know how to tell them apart.
I don't use it.

I had not thought about it being a modified endmill holder. I'll take another look.
Still though, the two grub screws are very small for the size cutter this seems intended to use.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

A NMTB 40 shank always has a driver slot in the collar.
Here is a picture of the fly cutter that I have for the Producto horizontal mill. easily seen is the driving slot that fits over the lug on the spindle socket. I think my dad may have made the actual cutter holder not the 40NMTB tool holder. This works very well.
40NMTB fly cutter
40NMTB fly cutter
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Rex

Post by Rex »

Earlgo, that is something I've not seen before.
I can see where this tool may be part of such.

And I guess that make it a NT40?
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Rex, here is a pic of the #40NMTB R8 collet adapter I use in this mill. Again one can see the driving lugs for the tool holder.
Angle cut.JPG
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Ianagos

Post by Ianagos »

earlgo wrote:Rex, here is a pic of the #40NMTB R8 collet adapter I use in this mill. Again one can see the driving lugs for the tool holder.
Angle cut.JPG
--earlgo
I have a nmtb 40 with no drive lugs. My mill also has no drive keys.
pete

Post by pete »

Not that I know much about 40 taper tooling, but I suspect that wasn't made from an end mill holder. The set screws are in the incorrect orientation and spaced too widely for any end mill holder. Unfortunately I've never seen a tool holder like it. The horizontal set screws make the fly cutter guess logical, that large threaded cross hole is for ???????
Ianagos

Post by Ianagos »

pete wrote:Not that I know much about 40 taper tooling, but I suspect that wasn't made from an end mill holder. The set screws are in the incorrect orientation and spaced too widely for any end mill holder. Unfortunately I've never seen a tool holder like it. The horizontal set screws make the fly cutter guess logical, that large threaded cross hole is for ???????

The large threaded cross hole looks like the original set screw for an endmill holder then someone took it cut a slot in it and added the two small set screws to make it a flycutter. I noticed there was no screw in the hole in the picture therefore why I think it wasn’t needed.

Coulda been a shop made holder that wasn’t all that great and someone made it into a fly cutter holder where runout is not as important.
Rex

Post by Rex »

I would think an endmill holder with an OD that large would have a fairly large hole for the endmill. Certainly bigger than the 1/2" slot.