New to me Bridgeport clone!

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

johnfreese

Re: New to me Bridgeport clone!

Post by johnfreese »

The real purpose of the door or opening in the column is core print. There is a very large core in the mold and it takes large core prints to keep it stable.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

It might be interesting for some folks to know that the door is not on all machines, and as has been stated earlier, it makes for poor storage because the column accumulates chips readily. For that reason, I do NOT recommend the column be used for storage.

The second mill I've owned was purchased in 1977, and does not have the door. There is no opening. It was the first 2 horse machine to be sold in Salt Lake City, but that was strictly a coincidence. I expected the 1½ horse head, but was pleasantly surprised to receive the 2 horse.

That it didn't have the door complicated replacement of the clamping ring, the one that secures the turret to the column. The original broke and had to be replaced. Without the door, access is difficult, but I solved the problem be pulling the new ring in place with a couple small diameter ropes. Once in place, a bolt could be started in one of the holes, then another. With two in place, the ropes could then be dropped and the other two inserted. The second ring has provided good service.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Thanks! I will just consider the door to be decoration, then. I guess if I was into illicit substances, I could stash them in there. But I go around buying machinery, so there's no money for drugs!

Dave
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

As I stated earlier, it's a handy place to put rarely used related bits that aren't at risk with chip intrusion. Like that quill feed wheel.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

BadDog wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:37 pm As I stated earlier, it's a handy place to put rarely used related bits that aren't at risk with chip intrusion. Like that quill feed wheel.
The problem for me with that idea is that if it's rarely used, I will forget where I put it, and I'll buy another. Then when I go to put it where rarely used items are stored, I'll find the first one, and second, and third, ad nauseum! I now have multiple tarp grommet repair kits. In fact, I found the ones I have while putting away the new set I bought last night!

Dave
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

For me it's the opposite. It's the only thing I put in there. :D And when I need it, I know where it is without looking.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
NP317

Post by NP317 »

If I can just remember where I put my milling machine...
~RN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

BadDog wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:37 pm As I stated earlier, it's a handy place to put rarely used related bits that aren't at risk with chip intrusion. Like that quill feed wheel.
I agree. I've owned a BP mill since 1967, and have yet to ever use that feed wheel. I can't really imagine what I'd use it for. Still have it, taking up space in a storage cabinet. Same for the rocker toolpost that came with my Graziano. Some things just aren't useful to me, while others think they're indispensable.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Got the mill home last night. Raced the weather, then the weather went north of the house, so I guess I won. We took his motor off when I got there, so there was no weight on the pulley cover, so I didn't worry about bringing the table up to support it.
mill0.jpg
mill1.jpg
mill2.jpg
The brown is sawdust, not rust, BTW. Now to figure out where I'm going to put it. I may end up putting it in storage for now until I get the mill/drill sold. I may have to empty the garage to get the mill/drill out and the mill in, which means the 10ee is going to have to move. Not looking forward to that, but I am looking forward to using this machine. As my HS English teacher used to say, it's a means to an end!

Dave
David2011

Post by David2011 »

A tip I read somewhere worked out well for moving a mill once you have it off the trailer. Many mills have holes in the corners of the base. Those holes are often the perfect size to be tapped with a 3/4" NC tap. I did that and made lifting bolts from 3/4" threaded rod cut into 9" pieces and pinned nuts to the top end with roll pins. I use the bolts to raise the mill up so I can put pipe rollers under it and then to level the machine. I've bedded the base by laying aluminum foil on the concrete, mix up some Portland cement kind of thick and put another strip of foil over the cement. I leveled by lowering one corner at a time until I got level on that edge working in either clockwise or counterclockwise progression. As with machining, there's no backing up. If you have to, you start over by raising the mound of cement so the base can settle into the cement again. When I moved the bedding came up from the concrete without leaving a trace.
spro

Post by spro »

That's an excellent suggestion.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I agree. I generally don't worry about bedding a machine, which, today, isn't commonly done, but it does tend to make a more stable machine. Using the foil guarantees you won't be sorry. Great suggestion.

H