Glass Bead Blasting Old Mill Vice

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

BadDog

Re: Glass Bead Blasting Old Mill Vice

Post by BadDog »

To keep from taking this further OT, I branched out the blast cabinet liner discussion to this new thread.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
germaneighter

Post by germaneighter »

Before and after vise freshening. Dis-assembled everything. Bead blasted, blow off, blow out, repeat and repeat. Washed, dried, masked off machined surfaces. Acid etch primer then Dark Machine Gray. I would like it darker but used what I had on hand. Lubed and re-assembled. It's quite large for my Rockwell but for $50 including shipping I thought it to be a decent investment.

Now I need jaws. It came with one jaw on it. If anyone has a spare Bridgeport single or a pair they would part with let me know the price.
Attachments
20190523_130748.jpg
20190602_202459.jpg
RSG

Post by RSG »

Looks good!

Why not just make your own Jaw? I'm sure there's a heat treating facility near you for hardening.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
spro

Post by spro »

Yessir. Looks nice and fresh while massive. Remember it has provision for top jaws also. You could hold some wide stuff with those. The top jaw above the fixed jaw is probably a close fit, so maybe you can find one of those too.
germaneighter

Post by germaneighter »

spro - top jaws would be great!

I've noticed how this vise has been milled to allow easy access to the sliding jaw capscrews when the jaw is retracted. I have not seen that on any other Bridgeport vises.
Attachments
vise.jpg
germaneighter

Post by germaneighter »

I have to take it back. I just saw this one on ebay...
Attachments
vise1.JPG
spro

Post by spro »

Hi. Yes I see that and yours is slightly different. These have the long screw inside the moving jaw and yours has some holes at back, for bolts or pins to hold the moving outer jaw. Since I have a better pic of your vise, I see the gibs are accessable for adjustment and the main screw is placed closer to the top of the jaw. The maker was considering " part lift" before the Kurt design.