Bare Metal Protection

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

John Hasler

Re: Bare Metal Protection

Post by John Hasler »

Glue one of these to the underside of the ways of your lathe and another somewhere low down on your mill:

https://www.amazon.com/Kats-22400-Watt- ... B000I8XDAS
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

There are those out there that want you to replace that bulb with an energy-efficient LED.
If I was after the light an LED may make sense, but the reddish light off the bulb is a byproduct of the "heater".
I designed LED ballast for a living, and I can tell you that while the LED may last 1/2 million hours the electrolytic capacitor in the ballast will fail much sooner.
Economic, competitive and the lack of integrity of our industries force the designer to specify a severely under rated capacitor that is known to fail prematurely. A similar situation happens for CFL, but is a toss up whether the electrolytic or the filament fails first.

I have no idea of the carbon footprint comparison between an uderpowered 60W light bulb, a brand new LED (assuming it was a suitable replacement). I have an hunch that the Mitsubishi AC is the worst, but keep me cool.

Steve I do not mean my answer as a put down, even if it sound so. You pushed one of my buttons.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
tim9lives

Post by tim9lives »

My problem is similar....incredible condensing humidity in New Orleans. Basically tropical weather.

I have found Lanolin works best. You can buy Fluid Film which is Lanolin based. Or...do what I did. Go on Ebay and find pound of raw Lanolin. And then heat it up and mix with mineral spirits and oil. It works great. Best rust prevention I have run across.

FWIW....I found this a while back in some forum. copied it and saved it. Its a recipe for it.
Fluid film
The original formula is (by volume) 3 Lanolin, 3 Mineral oil and 7 Mineral Spirits [paint thinner]
The formula was available on the MSDS before the current owners bought FF.

There is a superior formula that offers better flow in cold. FF does not offer that.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I bought one of those Sure Shot sprayers and mixed up some ATF, kero, and bees wax. I tried that this past winter and all seems fine. Of course most everything already has a patina. The few new bits still shine though.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Not all LED drivers contain electrolytic capacitors.