No good deed goes unpunished.

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: Harold_V, GlennW

AllenH59

No good deed goes unpunished.

Post by AllenH59 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:58 pm

So I bought a face mill, a 2" one with a R8 arbor, from Wish.com in China. It cost about $25 US to get it including shipping. It looks ok, and this eve I went out to the shop to give it a spin to see how well it worked. I already had a scrap of plate in the vise, so all I had to do was mount it and turn it on. Which I did, and it worked fine, and the finish was ok, and there was no chatter and all seemed well, except the power feed quit on my milling machine X axis quit. The motor turns in it but it is not driving the X axis. The inserts for it cost about 90 cents each plus shipping, I bought 20.. should last a while. Now I have another project.

spro

Re: No good deed goes unpunished.

Post by spro » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:42 pm

Would that be related to pulling a 2" face mill ? I mean, we think about drag in the head but what does the table drive see ? Hopefully it is just a pin or a gear you can get.

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:13 am

I agree with spro - there may be a pin that is intended to shear if the load it too high, kind of like the shear pins on your snowblower that save the motor in case you suck up a big rock.

Steve

LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:10 pm

What kind of mill is it and what type of power feed unit is on the X-axis? Many of the Bridgeport clones use the Servo or similar power feed units. They have a plastic gear that is usually the victim when table stops moving, yet the motor keeps running.

Nyle

Richard_W

Post by Richard_W » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:37 pm

LIALLEGHENY wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:10 pm
What kind of mill is it and what type of power feed unit is on the X-axis? Many of the Bridgeport clones use the Servo or similar power feed units. They have a plastic gear that is usually the victim when table stops moving, yet the motor keeps running.

Nyle
The plastic gear has been my experience with the Servo type table feeds. I wouldn't think the cutter would be a problem. I have had no problem using an 1.5" diameter 3 flute at any number on the feed dial on the old 135 inch pound servos. I believe the newer ones for X and Y axis are 150 inch pounds now? The problem would usually be someone ran the spindle into something a either half stripped some teeth of the plastic gear, or totally stripped off a few teeth in one spot. The motor would run but wouldn't stop at the bad spot on the gear.

Richard_W

armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:56 am

Stripped the plastic gear on mine some time ago, not waiting for it to come to a complete stop and reversing.
Considered making one out of bronze but the tooth count is a prime number > than 100, cant compound on my indexing head.
Bought a replacement and more careful.