Bridgeport lubcrication questions

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

henryr

Bridgeport lubcrication questions

Post by henryr »

HI all,
I have Bridgeport mill, with a J head, made in 1959 and in one manual, I found online, it showed a set screw on the left side of the head that is to be removed for greasing the bull gears. My manual does not show this and the head has no set screw so how are the bull gears lubed?

And, in the manual I own, the picture for lubing the head shows a large oil cup on the right and a smaller one higher up and just slightly to the right and the manual calls for Vactra heavy/medium oil for both, which i believe is viscosity of 68. Another manual, found online, calls for light spindle oil for the spindle bearings and Vactra heavy/medium for the spindle down feed. What oil should be used on my old J head?

Thanks,
henryr
bridgeport2.JPG
bridgeport4.JPG
little giant

Re: Bridgeport lubcrication questions

Post by little giant »

Greasing the bull gears is for a variable speed head. The upper oil cup oils the gears in the step pulley head and drive train for the spindle feed. The lower oil cup is for the quill and spindle bearings. Use light spindle oil in the lower oil cup, and medium/heavy for the upper oil cup and oiler for the table ways.
henryr

Post by henryr »

Thanks for the info. Per my manual for series 1 with the J head I have been using heavy/medium in the oil cups and way oil in the one shot oiler for the ways and lead screws.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

And : Lube the quill splines by lowering the quill a inch or so and give it a couple of pumps of spindle oil down along the draw bar. Been using ISO 32 tractor fluid for all spindle oil needs for years. If you have a one shot oilier use # 2 way oil there.
www.chaski.com
henryr

Post by henryr »

H&W replied to my question about lubing the bull gears. There response was:

The bull gears need to be greased with lithium grease. We sell this grease in tubes (EP-1). You will have to take your machine apart to get to the bull gears so you can fill the cavity around those. You will not need to worry about greasing the bull gears until you tear into your machine again for maintenance.
pete

Post by pete »

A H&W Bridgeport lubrication video uploaded today that might help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DSLhrAasHs
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Henryr, Would you be so kind and post the serial number of your head
Not sure of the date on my BP J head as it was added it to my 1943 mill
My S# is 23993
Thanks
Rich