Sieg Small Mill X-axis Lead Screws - Hardened?

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Semesa2

Sieg Small Mill X-axis Lead Screws - Hardened?

Post by Semesa2 »

Hi! I am updating my Sieg X3 mill to a larger table using Little Machine Shop's "Long Table Kit, Bench Mill" for the upgrade. Since my machine was an early import from Lathemaster (cerca 2004-5), I am having to having to add compatible X-axis components that were common in later versions of the mill - such as endplate, bearing housing and the like. I also need to do some machining on the supplied lead screw. Depending on how I do it, this will minimally entail drilling a 4mm hole to pin the x-axis clutch or I can to mill a 4mm keyseat for the handle.

My (rather newbie-ish question): Are the Sieg leadscrews hardened? Can I just M2 drill bits and end mills? If I use cobalt drill bits and end mills, will that cause me problems?

My prior experiences have been with aluminum and mild steel, hence the somewhat clueless questions... :shock:
"Hit the screw with a file. if the file marks, HSS will work OK..." (How I learn :shock: )
John Evans

Re: Sieg Small Mill X-axis Lead Screws - Hardened?

Post by John Evans »

Hit the screw with a file ,if file marks it HSS will work OK.
www.chaski.com
Semesa2

Re: Sieg Small Mill X-axis Lead Screws - Hardened?

Post by Semesa2 »

Gaaak! Why didn't I think of that? Yup, HSS should do just fine... Thanks so much, John! :-)
"Hit the screw with a file. if the file marks, HSS will work OK..." (How I learn :shock: )