Kearney & Trecker Rotary Head Milling Machine Story

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

mac_campshure

Kearney & Trecker Rotary Head Milling Machine Story

Post by mac_campshure »

Hi All,
Well I went to pick up my new Lathe Dean Smith and Grace yesterday after it was paid in full [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img].
As I pull in I see a mill setting outside, looks to be in very nice shape.
I ask the guy that will load my DS& G what the deal on the mill is.He says see the truck pulling in, he will take it to the scrap yard. He says talk to the boss.
OK the boss says the machine should run fine but no room for it, going to be scrapped! .I say how much , he says $250. that's what I will get for scrap, I say 150 he says forget it, I say 195 he says forget it. My final offer $225.00 .SOLD
My friend Warren that was tagging along rolled his eye balls a few times that is for sure!!
I had already loaded the Lathe on the 24 ' flat bed RYDER, so backed back in the warehouse and they set the
KERNEY & TRECKER Model D Rotary Head Milling Machine No.2 1954 Vintage No 30 spindle, I think no. 30 collets set a whole set of smaller collets, some no 30 holders for shell mills, A universal tilting head which rotates 360 degrees you stick on.
Coolant,Right and Left Spindle direction speeds 250 to 4000. Air, power rotary head 1/4" rpm to 3 " , Power spindle in and out, Power table 12" X 18" > this thing is Massive 5000 lbs , the table base is twice as big as the top which is 20" X 30" , so no sag here!!
I will let you know if it works and post some pics.
Does any one have a manual for this critter or used it, have one that you wouldn't mind sharing your experience or know any thing about it.I do know that it was designed for Die sinking.
Regards mac__________
Fred White

Re: Kearney & Trecker Rotary Head Millig Machine Story

Post by Fred White »

A friend of mine has one of these. I assume its the same model. He is retired now but ran one for many years at work.

I think that Prewitt Machinery also has one for sale
( www.prewittmachinery.com) Its an incredible machine in the hands of someone who knows how to use it. Cost many many dollars when new and is incredibly well built. Hope you dont ever need parts for it .......unless you're rich that is.

A CNC equipped Bridgeport will do the same work as this so there is no market for them. Thats why it was going for scrap.

I'll ask him next time I see him if he has the manual for his.....probably does since he got it government surplus.
mac_campshure

Post by mac_campshure »

Hi Fred,
I am tickled that I was in the right place at the right time 1/2 hour later and it would have met the ball !
I hope to develop some of those skills over the years to be able to take advantage of this mills many possibilities.
If your friend has manuals parts ect I would sure be interested.Please drop me a line if that is the case.
Thanks again for your thoughts mac___
David

Post by David »

Lucky Dog, being in the right place at the right time always helps.
fredwhite

Post by fredwhite »

I have sent you a private message with the individuals contact information. He does have the manuals.

Fred
Mcruff

Post by Mcruff »

I ran one of these for about 7 years back in the 80's when I served my apprenticeship with a company called Austro mold in Clearwater Fl. , these were replaced by a CNC machine but should not be considered there equal in no way, these machines were fondly referred to as Die making mills, they were made in several different sizes, the two I ran had a 15" rotary tables mounted on the head with a 4 speed torque converter drive that meant you had to climb the cast in ladder on the side of the machine and move the belt to the next pulley and then you could crank the handle on the torque converter to give you about a 150-250 rpm range in that pulley setup. They have a handle on the right hand side to control the power feed and direction of the rotary head and a manual crank and a cross slide handle to move the head off center. We had a cherry attachment that would tie the crosslide and the downfeed on the head together so that you could cut angles with a ball nose end mill. Vertually all the the molds for the rochester carburetors and the first throttle body EFI setups were built on these mills buy me and several other moldmakers at Austro mold back from 1980-1986.
These are very durable and almost indestructible machines.
Please post a picture of the one you purchased, if you need any information I can tell you virtually anything you want to know about running one of these fine machines. You won't find to many toolmakers left that know how to run one of these let alone someone in my age category (40) because by the time I learned to run one of them most of the machines were gone already and the toolmakers had already retired.
mac_campshure

Post by mac_campshure »

Hi David,
I can only add that if you don't ask you won't know.
Thanks for your well wishes. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img] mac__________
mac_campshure

Post by mac_campshure »

Hi Mcruff,
These seem like they will take lots of skills to proceed, as my tasks are totally on none to me it will defiantly be a life long learning experience, I have been contacted by a couple different folks that are using regularly or have used one.
I do appreciate your offer and will undoubtedly be in touch with you.
Pic's will be forth coming
Best Regards mac_______

P.S. Could you please drop me an e-mail so I can get your address.
thanks mac___
mac_campshure

Post by mac_campshure »

Hi Fred,
Very nice of you!
Thanks , mac_________
Dave Burnett

Post by Dave Burnett »

I ran one of them mills back in the late 60's in a mold shop. You got your self a chunk of big iron. I did a lot of fancy work with it but CNC machines pretty well killed them. I think you will have a lot of fun with it. Good Luck.
hrhoades

Post by hrhoades »

Mac,
Sounds like you got quite a deal, I am looking forward to seeing your new tools as we talked once things settle down a little.
Hal