What is best collet holder for a Gorton? er? flex?

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Anonymous

What is best collet holder for a Gorton? er? flex?

Post by Anonymous »

always used r8 on my b-port now have really nice gorton with 40 taper. nice but i have a 40 taper to r8 adaptor and thats it. really slow to chenge. but what is the best set up for a collet holder on this thing. i do smalll and large stuff. what brands fit what ??? i see er type, flex type, and on and on. are any brands interchangable? i would eusee so . but what is the best fairly inexpensive seet up i should look for. thnx in advance. want to get a little more efficient . will buy a nice 1 inch holder for my bigg guns. but its the smaller stuff thats a pain. ok thnx again
AndrewMawson

Re: what is best coolet holder? er? flex? input needed

Post by AndrewMawson »

I like the ER series as each collet covers quite a wide range so you can cover imperial and metric with one range of collets. Look at:

http://www.tysontool.com/ERprecision.htm
Andrew Mawson
Battle, East Sussex, UK
Anonymous

will an er40 holder take a er11collet???

Post by Anonymous »

ok does your holder haev to mach your collets?? are any other brands the same as a er and fit the same? i have no experience with these types of collets and need to learn!!! thnx again
Anonymous

ok with er they have to mate up

Post by Anonymous »

obviously looking at the diagram on your link they are diff sizes. any other input ? thnx
mendoje1

Post by mendoje1 »

I also like the ER series of spring collets, they provide a large grip range with the fewest number of collets, and the self-releasing feature is great. There are several series (11,16,20,25,32,40,50) based on the grip range you need. They are interchangable by brand, but not between series. I use ER16 on my little benchtop Unimat lathe/mill (complete set of 10 collets: 1/32 - 3/8), and an R8 shank ER32 on my Rockwell mill (complete set is 18 collets: 3/32 - 25/32, but I only have 6 collets to cover common sizes 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4). I also have an ER16 collet chuck with a 1/2 shank to use in the Rockwell. The name brands are very expensive. For me, I found that ER32 would cover my needs, was easily found in cheap import brands and R8, and the chuck wasn't overly large. I got mine on eBay (R8 holder + 6 collets), and found another source for cheap import collets.

Jeff
Rockwell-South Bend-Ammco-Delta-Craftsman-Lincoln-Harris-& Harbor Freight too !
Anonymous

are the imports still called er collets or do they

Post by Anonymous »

are the imports still called er collets or do they have their own name ?? thnx. they need to make the subjst title longer . i dont like this new format. harder to find stuff.
mendoje1

Re: are the imports still called er collets or do they

Post by mendoje1 »

"ER" is a collet design (not a brand name) invented by the Swiss company Rego-Fix in 1973, later adopted as a standard in the industry, and now you can find ER collets made by expensive brand names and cheaper no name brands (similarly, "R8" was invented by Bridgeport, and "CAT" (like CAT40) was invented by Caterpillar, and now you can find R8 and CAT arbors and collets in cheap to expensive, domestic or imported varieties).

As mentioned, the two number suffix (11,16,20,25,32,40, or 50) after ER denotes the grip range, which you can find on the web or in catalogs like Enco, MSC, or Rutland.

Jeff
Rockwell-South Bend-Ammco-Delta-Craftsman-Lincoln-Harris-& Harbor Freight too !
Michael_Az

Post by Michael_Az »

I also like the ER collet set. Have had them on my mill for many years and no problems at all. Very easy to change out.
Michael
Saimp 2 HP 10 X 44 mill, #2 Cin Horz Mill, Cholchester 13" lathe, LeBlond 15" Dual Drive.
Anonymous

whats the deal with ericson collets?

Post by Anonymous »

they look different and have differnet model numbers. are these popular also.?
JeffinWI

Post by JeffinWI »

I like the TG style collets. They are considerably longer than the ER style, which seems to geve better grip and less runout. They are availible in "flex" type for odd diameters, "grip" type made for specific nominal end mill diameters, and "drive" type with an integral drive key that fits the end mill flat...NO tool spinning or pulling out with these! Down side is the grip range for each collet is less, so you need to buy more of 'em, plus the different types, if you want them. A very good system if you can justify the funds for all the available varieties.