DRO on Rong Fu Mill??

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ftgmx

DRO on Rong Fu Mill??

Post by ftgmx »

Does anyone have any pictures of a DRO, or even the digital scales installed on the Rong Fu type, Enco Mills? I was just curious how they mount. I.E. how much I have to make to get them to work. Thanks
Shawn
gmann109

Re: DRO on Rong Fu Mill??

Post by gmann109 »

ftgmx wrote:Does anyone have any pictures of a DRO, or even the digital scales installed on the Rong Fu type, Enco Mills? I was just curious how they mount. I.E. how much I have to make to get them to work. Thanks
Shawn

There was another thread here recently that discussed this very topic. One issue that was mentioned was that the X scale sensor may have to go on the front of the saddle/table area since the Y movement would otherwise be more limited than it is. Usually most Mill Drills have around 6" of Y axis. Installing the sensor in the rear would limit that due to the interference with the column.

Without regard to the type or configuration of mill, it's generally done by drilling and tapping holes. On my Webb Mill (Bridgeport clone) I used 1/4-20 for the ends of the X axis sensor strip and 10-24 for mounting the sensor. The holes were drilled into the cast iron and tapped.

The holes for my Y axis were already there when I got it.
tailshaft56

Post by tailshaft56 »

That was my thread. I'm pretty much following David 5605's lead. I have the head and the Y axis done. Working on the x axis now. Z will have to wait as I have ordered a couple of lenear bearings and shafts to use in the mounting. I tried the drawer slide but the one I got the carrier with the bearings would work its way to bottom of the slide when used in the verticle position. That was happeng when working the slide by hand. Could be that it's a false problem and it might be fine in actual use. I'll try to post some pictures later on this evening.
Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TS
Millermatic Challenger 172
Victor O/A
Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
Esab PCM-875
Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill
ftgmx

Post by ftgmx »

Thanks Dennis, I'd appreciate that.
Shawn
tailshaft56

Post by tailshaft56 »

I'm sorry but I didn't get to the pics. Will try tomorrow evening.
Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TS
Victor O/A
Esab PCM-875
prlawiii

Post by prlawiii »

Is this a round column mill-drill or a dovetail column mill? If the former, there is a website that I have on my favourites at home (I'm travelling for work right now) that goes through in detail how to install all three axes DRO with the cheap Chinese scales. It should also should work for the linear glass scales. If you are doing a dovetail column mill, I think the tables are essentially the same, so what this site shows should work for the X-Y at least. I will be home tomorrow night and able to locate and post the link. He details carefully what you have to re-position from the standard stops and locks, and even where to buy new handles for the table locks to avoid interference.

Herman
gmann109

Post by gmann109 »

prlawiii wrote:Is this a round column mill-drill or a dovetail column mill? If the former, there is a website that I have on my favourites at home (I'm travelling for work right now) that goes through in detail how to install all three axes DRO with the cheap Chinese scales. It should also should work for the linear glass scales. If you are doing a dovetail column mill, I think the tables are essentially the same, so what this site shows should work for the X-Y at least. I will be home tomorrow night and able to locate and post the link. He details carefully what you have to re-position from the standard stops and locks, and even where to buy new handles for the table locks to avoid interference.

Herman
The OP says Rong Fu/Enco type. This is round column.
Dave Sohlstrom

DRO scale mounts Enco mill

Post by Dave Sohlstrom »

Here is h0w my scales are mounted right now and the new mount for the X scale to get the power feed limit switch between the scale and the table. Did not put the X scale on the back because of reduced Y axis travel.

Dave

Sorry Harold hope this works better.

Last edited by Dave Sohlstrom on Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
prlawiii

Post by prlawiii »

If you go to this website, there are detailed pictures and instructions of what this guy did to install the Chinese scales and Shumatech display to a Rong Fu mill-drill for all three axes. About as complete as you can get.

http://www.finelinehair.com/home/DRO_Mill.htm

Herman
GadgetBuilder

Post by GadgetBuilder »

Info on how I added a Meister DRO to my round column mill:
http://www.gadgetbuilder.com/MillTram.html#Mill_DRO

It truly transforms how you use the mill, wish I'd done it sooner.

John
tailshaft56

Post by tailshaft56 »

Here's my Y axis
Attachments
Mill01.JPG
Last edited by tailshaft56 on Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TS
Victor O/A
Esab PCM-875
gmann109

Post by gmann109 »

Once you install a DRO, you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner. They certainly make things easier.