G0484 all tuned up - now I have gear backlash issues

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: G0484 all tuned up - now I have gear backlash issues

Post by Harold_V »

seal killer wrote: I turned the crankshaft and milled the steam passages in it and then screwed it up when I stuck it back in the lathe chuck . . . the chuck left jaw marks on a portion of it.
I've heard of people using soft jaws to avoid that problem. They can be made of steel, or aluminum. Doesn't matter---neither one will mar finishes. Neat thing is, if they're machined properly, they're dead concentric and perpendicular---which may not always be the case when you use shims. All depends on what surfaces you have at your disposal to apply your trusty DTI.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
stevec

Post by stevec »

seal killer wrote:Steve--
Just to MAKE YOU HAPPY, I used my brand new 1" saw to cut this piece off today! :)
--Bill
Well, I'm happy but now curious to know what your " 1"saw" is. Is it your bandsaw that has a 1" wide blade?
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Steve--

Yes. It is a Grizzly G9743. I plan to write something about it before long.

--Bill
You are what you write.
AlphaGeek

Post by AlphaGeek »

I see that the propensity for major topic drift within threads has gotten no better in the year I was away. :)

-AG
Rule number one: Everything takes longer and costs more.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

AlphaGeek wrote:I see that the propensity for major topic drift within threads has gotten no better in the year I was away. :)

-AG
And not likely to improve, so please bear with us. :wink:

That's not a bad thing. There is a great deal of useful information that rears its head in open discussions. It also offers the opportunity for those in the know to dispel misinformation, often requiring a shift of gears, clarifying or even contradicting what can be damaging or useless claims. All in all, a good thing unless conversation shifts to off topic (forbidden) and totally unrelated subjects.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

AlpahaGeek--

I hope the topic drifts back to the subject. Your efforts with the G0484 have been very educational for me.

--Bill
You are what you write.
AlphaGeek

Post by AlphaGeek »

seal killer wrote:I hope the topic drifts back to the subject. Your efforts with the G0484 have been very educational for me.
Heh. Thanks, Bill. Pity I don't make it out to Kansas City these days. If I end up making another pilgrimage to Sprint HQ we'll have to try for a meetup.

Tough crowd -- thought sure I'd get a few chuckles with my comment about the Z gib in my '484 being made with a sheep-shearing device of some sort. :)

Looks like I'll have to break out some of the topics raised in my catch-up post into new threads if I'm to get feedback.

-AG
Rule number one: Everything takes longer and costs more.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

AG--

A YEAR AGO, this was a HOT TOPIC! :) You can't just disappear and use some mickey mouse I'm-busy-trying-to-make-a-living excuse and still expect everyone to gobble up and reply to every word posted!

But, it was fascinating to watch your progress and the care with which you approached every aspect of the project.

--Bill
ps Let me know when you appear here in The Land Of Oz. I think Sprint has a little office here.
You are what you write.