"Select" milling machine

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

dick56

"Select" milling machine

Post by dick56 »

I was given a "Select" milling machine, model 1VB/VS, serial number 19410--it is a floor model and quite heavy. It is very complete with a few hundred pounds of tooling. How do I measure what size the mill is? Is there another make/model that Select cloned that I could get an operator's manual for? The mill and a Hendey 14X54 lather was given to me to use, and I am in the process of getting 3 phase power to the machines besides fixing some broken castings on the lathe.

I would appreciate any help getting started on teh mill operation.
Thansk.
wsippola

Re: "Select" milling machine

Post by wsippola »

Can't help with a manual - have not heard of "select". The lathes.co.uk sight shows a taiwan lathe by that name. What kind of mill is this? Old horizontal, asian mill / drill, vertical? Post a picture, and someone may be able to help. A lot of the asian mills are pretty much the same, so even with a different name, someone might have a manual. Or ask questions here - someone is likely to answer any machining questions you have. Again, a picture or two of the mill will help,

Wayne
dalee

Post by dalee »

Hi,

Mills are generally sized by the table measurements, i.e. - 9"x36" or 15"x54". Those measurements are not to be confused with table travels. Which will be less than the table measurements.

Good luck with finding a manual. Sometimes they can be really hard to find.

dalee
More Speed, More feed!
spro

Post by spro »

Giving you an idea about how time passes so quickly now... I Do have the regular mini catalogue around here somewhere. Seems like last month I saw it. It's no freakin mystery about Select. They dealt with machines built in Taiwan. They have/had agreements to where there were on-site inspections, supervision. The product was the Cream of the production, tuned retuned and spec'd out to a higher standard. That's the way it was presented. There is no reason to disagree with that, that I know.
From what I recall there was no Select Mill/Drill or any benchtop vertical. The 1VB/VS is their smallest mill which is still a #2 machine. It is a Bridgeport type variable speed. Quite expensive then.
spro

Post by spro »

:shock: Yeh you said it was floor model already and heavy. HMMMMMmmmm. The dude with the latest Hendey...hmmmm. yep :idea: Right Heavy :) The good news is that exploded diaghrams are very similar to those of this type. I'm dancing on a wire here for so many more Know more about the particulars. Certainly stability and try to do it where the table is very very level. That table can be the foundation for things in the future. Well that's in the future.
Something important to know is about the way the head is affixt to the ram. You need Know which to untighten and which not to.
That is, the indexing for tilt. You gotta spray whatever and make sure these parts aren't stuck before crankin on the ( ) bolt which is the worm to drive the wheel to tilt the head. They go bust otherwise. It isn't excactly fun figuring out how to replace one.
dick56

Post by dick56 »

Thanks guys/girls for the responses. Attached are some pics I took today. The mill is:
Model 1VB/BS
weight approx 3400 pounds
84" tall
9 X 48" bed
motor is 220 volts 3 phase 9 amps and 1720RPM
The spindle moves 5"
Table moves 13" up and down 10" fore and aft
32" transverse table travel
Oiler pump for all fittings
Attachments
DSC01184.JPG
DSC01185.JPG
DSC01186.JPG
dick56

Post by dick56 »

So now I need to find a machine like this that has an available operator's manual so I can learn the workings of this mill. I have figured out most of the adjusters, but know nothing about the DRO. Does this look familiar to anyone??? Thanks
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

dick56 wrote:So now I need to find a machine like this that has an available operator's manual so I can learn the workings of this mill. I have figured out most of the adjusters, but know nothing about the DRO. Does this look familiar to anyone??? Thanks
I don't know if they ever made an operators manual? When I bought my new Jet mill around 1985 it came with only a parts manual. Looks pretty much like the standard Bridgeport mill to me. Is there something to see in the sight glass on the mill head? I have never seen a sight window or is it an oil level window?

My guess is the machine weighs about 2200 pounds. My Jet with the step head weighed in at 2100 pounds with 42" table and had a little over 12" travel moving the table in the "Y" axis direction.

The DRO manual will be from the DRO maker, since it an after market option.

Looks like you have a keeper there, once you get it cleaned up. Have fun with it.

Richard W.
61-63

Post by 61-63 »

"Select" was probably a vendor that sold that particular machine; one of many or several. Watch ebay and craigslist and other sites with machines for sale until you see an identical machine by another name and then obtain a manual for THAT machine if they are available.

Gave it to you huh? Some people have all the luck. And with a dro no less.
stevec

Post by stevec »

Dick, I gotta admit I'd rather meet your friends than you LOL.
Could you please stand up when taking picturesLOL.
Looks like an great acquisition, Enjoy!
dick56

Post by dick56 »

Stevec,
Could you please stand up when taking picturesLOL

Now that I have mastered putting pictures on the site, now I have to master how to rotate the pictures 90 degrees so folks don't have to have a crook in their neck!
Patio

Post by Patio »

stevec wrote:Now that I have mastered putting pictures on the site, now I have to master how to rotate the pictures 90 degrees so folks don't have to have a crook in their neck!
Here they are up right for you.
Select mill.JPG
Select mill.JPG (42.56 KiB) Viewed 5327 times
Select mill1.JPG
Select mill1.JPG (45.02 KiB) Viewed 5327 times
Select mill2.JPG
Select mill2.JPG (47.16 KiB) Viewed 5327 times

I use an "Open Source" software called Picasa, to manage all my pictures, online and off.

One of these day I hope to acquire a mill also.
Nice!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!