New (to me) Mill

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

tailshaft56

New (to me) Mill

Post by tailshaft56 »

Just bought a Speedford vertical mill. I thought I took a picture but seems it did not save. Hopefully will get it drug home tomorrow. The mill has been sitting a few years and needs some serious cleaning. Mill seems to be in good shape and not used a whole lot. The mill is plain Jane but does have a dividing head and decent looking vise with it. Paid 500 and had I been thinking might have got it for less. Missed the Clausing Colchester 21 by 80 inch lathe but I guess you can't win them all.

BTW also got a shaper for 125
Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TS
Millermatic Challenger 172
Victor O/A
Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
Esab PCM-875
Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill
heisler0

Re: New (to me) Mill

Post by heisler0 »

Sounds like a pretty good deal! What brand of shaper? post some pictures when you get them home.
tailshaft56

Post by tailshaft56 »

Got the machines home today. Did a little checking and found the clutch frozen. I think it probably suffers from old dried out lube. There will be a lot cleaning. The prior owner had to get a pacemaker a few years ago after which it was hard for him to do much. His wife died a couple of years ago after which he really did nothing in his shop. I will take some pictures and post them in the next few days.
Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TS
Victor O/A
Esab PCM-875
spro

Post by spro »

It is good to remember the previous owners of machinery we like. They were there first, years ago and saved them for us. Machinery gets old yet we get dead.
tailshaft56

Post by tailshaft56 »

The shaper was made the John Steptoe Co. Cincinnati Oh.
Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TS
Victor O/A
Esab PCM-875