Grinding chip breakers on HSS toolbits

This is where bits of wisdom will be stored, a frequently asked question section with answers.

Moderator: Harold_V

tsph6500

Re: Grinding chip breakers on HSS toolbits

Post by tsph6500 »

Harold_V wrote:I had offered to talk about HSS tool grinding, and did so with hesitation. My reservations were well founded. It's interesting how a person can do things on a routine basis, with success, and be at a loss to explain how or why, but that's where I find myself. It's nothing short of shocking to be without words, particularly when I rarely have a clue that it's time to shut up.
Thank you very much for putting in the time to teach us. No teacher can ever completely cover a subject nor can a single textbook. One must get information from several sources and yours is a valued one.

I look forward to more.
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer & Fireman
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Very good piece, Harold. It's been a really wild week at work, and as has been mentioned, this cannot be soaked up in a quick five minute skim, so I finally had time to soak it all up this morning on my off day.
Greg Menke

Post by Greg Menke »

Many thanks Harold, this article has helped me a bunch. Now I'm off to go regrind all my rather curious examples...

:)

Regards,

Greg
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

torker wrote:Ow...they are pricey though. The Buck chuck in the KBC catalogue is worth as much as my lathe
I picked mine up for $60. Used 3-pc jay chucks with no jaw tops are cheap (who wants one with no jaws? Cheapskates like me, that's who).

I got mine from Plaza machinery (http://www.plazamachinery.com/ ). Had head lots of good comments about Joe and the one I got is in fine shape, just have to make the backplate (the spacer I needed to do it just came in the mail, so it's next up on the project list after the kids' Pinewood Derby cars!).
torker wrote: Good to see a pic of a "spider" also. Cool looking gadget!
Russ
Have to give Harold the credit on this one.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

Tried one of Harold's chip breaker grinds tonight on the old SB10L with some CRS. Having the rocker post, I need to fine tune it for more breaking action, but man, that thing cuts. Beautiful finish, too. I will tweak it tomorrow to see if I can get it to turn the chip back enough to break instead of just coiling.
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

With the rocker type post, it looks like the back side needs to be nearly 90 degrees to the top of the tool bit. That, with a little more speed makes little 1/2" long springs or 9s, depending on the feed and speed. Just take Harolds picture and incline the tool bit 15 degrees while trying to maintain the same overall shape at the business end.
MichaelC

Post by MichaelC »

Thank you Harold for taking the time to write this up. I was wondering, are there photos included in the write up, if there are they are not showing on my screen?

Thank you
Michael
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Michael,

Yes, there should be four pictures, total. Three of them should appear with the first post, and one later on, where I show a chip breaker on a more complex form. If, by chance, you still don't see them, I'd be pleased to forward them to you for your perusal. Feel free to contact me on the side, or through a private message, and I'll send them to you via email as an attachment. Please provide the addy you'd like me to use. They're all fairly small in file size, a total of, perhaps, 200 kb.

I have no clue why you aren't receiving the pictures, although you may have options that need to be changed on your personal page. It's been so long since I looked at mine that I have forgotten if showing pics, or not, is one of them. I'll mention the problem to Marty, who may have a solution to your problem.

Harold
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

MichaelC wrote:Thank you Harold for taking the time to write this up. I was wondering, are there photos included in the write up, if there are they are not showing on my screen?

Thank you
Michael
Michael, the photos were changed to attachments this morning. You should see a DOWNLOAD button to view the files. This is being experimented with to save users with Dialup Internet Connections some time.

Please let me know?
Marty
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
MichaelC

Post by MichaelC »

Harold and Marty,

The photos show up as attachments to download now. Thank you again. What a great site this is.

Michael
rohamm

Post by rohamm »

This has been great reading. I'm only afraid I've missed any of Harold's teachings.

If a picture says a thousand words, well, a video...

Is there any way we could look over your shoulder Mr V?.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

rohamm wrote:Is there any way we could look over your shoulder Mr V?.
Thanks for your kind words.

I've never figured my instructions were good enough for any kind of publication, but I always welcome visitors. Should you venture to the west coast, stop by and we'll grind up a storm!

Harold