Thinking of using PVC pipe for air?

This is where bits of wisdom will be stored, a frequently asked question section with answers.

Moderator: Harold_V

NP317

Re: Thinking of using PVC pipe for air?

Post by NP317 »

I plumbed the air in my shop using commercially available larger-diameter air hose(!), with appropriate NPT fittings.
Easy to install, meets code for air hoses, and is easily replaced, if needed. Strangely, the stock hose lengths fit the Shop perfectly.
The 3/4" diameter hoses provide all the CFM I have ever required.
~RN
shorttrackhack

Post by shorttrackhack »

The bursting danger is a real thing all seem to agree on. A shop I worked at had the air system plumbed in PVC, and of course, it failed. The most alarming part wasn't the shrapnel, as the air compressor was in a shack behind the building, and the failure occurred after hours. Shutting down the compressor wasn't done on a nightly basis, and after the outlet pipe blew apart, the compressor ran steady until morning when they found the burned remains of the fitting melting out of the comperssor's outlet fitting and a scorched mark on the wall...
16WhiteColly

Post by 16WhiteColly »

I had it in my garage for 30 years and it finally burst a couple of weeks ago. Ripped it out and went with the RapidAir System.
40 year retired machinist.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

Interesting this post just resurfaced. Yesterday I installed a 3/4" solenoid valve at my compressor. The NC valve is actuated by the shop light circuit and only allows air from the compressor tank to the piping when the shop lights are on.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.