Father & Sons build project: Fitchburg Northern (2.5" scale, 7.5" gauge)

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, hwboivin3

Donhost4449

Father & Sons build project: Fitchburg Northern (2.5" scale, 7.5" gauge)

Post by Donhost4449 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:13 pm

On August 4th, 2018 I met with my friend, John Bailie, to discuss restarting a locomotive build he had been helping me with several years ago. The build - Fitchburg Northern - originally started in October of 2002. I got as far as the boiler, drivers, axles, eccentrics, bearing boxes, crank pins and was able to press all those together. The work suspended in June of 2005 when I moved away to chase a girl (and a steam locomotive) up in Portland, Oregon. Then came marriage, and babies in the baby carriage. We have since moved back to the Sacramento area, and those babies are now 10. Eli & Paul love love this hobby. John has been teaching the boys how to coal fire a locomotive on his Chloe(s), so naturally they asked if we could have a coal-fired locomotive. Thus, this locomotive build has been resurrected! [NOTE: For those who are wondering, I do have the kids wearing safety glasses when operating the grinder, mill and the lathe. They are also required to wear closed-toe shoes, an apron, and I have shown both of them horribly graphic pictures of when safety gear isn't worn to show them how dangerous this stuff is.] Here are a few pictures - we are moving right along. Acquisition of raw materials, and the kids cutting the pedistal binder material to length. More to come...
IMG_8256.JPG
S&K Steel in Sacramento
IMG_8338.JPG
Eli cutting the pedistal binders.
IMG_8342.JPG
Paul cutting binders, and Eli deburring.
IMG_8344.JPG
The finished product. My mentor always taught me to make extra, in case I mess one up...

mikeehlert

Re: Father & Sons build project: Fitchburg Northern (2.5" scale, 7.5" gauge)

Post by mikeehlert » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:37 am

That is so great. Makes me feel good to see kids actually working with their hands instead of staring at an electronic device. Carry on.
Mike

NP317

Post by NP317 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:12 am

Ten Points!
Look forward to seeing more pics of The Project, and your kids working on it.
~RN

Donhost4449

Post by Donhost4449 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:21 am

Gentlemen: thank you for your words of encouragement. My boys really seem to be enjoying the work!

Next step was taking the material that had been sawed at home by Eli and Paul to John's shop. There I drilled the pedestal binders for the fasteners that will eventually hold them to the bottom of the frame. In addition to bolts, roll pins will be used - a practice of John's for strength and proper alignment. Slots were cut so the binders can be pried away from the frame once they are pinned together.
IMG_8359.JPG
IMG_8361.JPG
We pinned the two frame pieces together, and John scribed the layout for the frames onto the material using one of the extra Chloe frames he had on hand.
IMG_8352.JPG
IMG_8353.JPG
I milled the ends.
IMG_8358.JPG
We discussed the finer points of chain drilling - the method I have employed to open the holes in my frame materials.
IMG_8351.JPG

I left John's with a shopping list of materials and tooling to get for my fledgling machine shop at home, and a homework assignment to get the frames roughed out. That is where I will leave this installment of our project - next up is a visit with my friend Joe, and back with the boys get to all that chain drilling at home.