3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, hwboivin3

Bill Shields

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by Bill Shields » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:08 pm

no....just a boiler full of scotch....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.

BAdams

Post by BAdams » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:18 pm

I would suggest Try Cocks on the backhead of a boiler full of Scotch - just to check the levels of course :wink:

JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:11 pm

Hello My Friends
What about rule "G"? Us old Bozo's know about that. Do they still call it that?
Jack

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:26 am

JBodenmann wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:11 pm
Hello My Friends
Jack
Rule G?
Care to elaborate?

I'm older than dirt and don't have a clue!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:49 am

Harold_V wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:26 am
JBodenmann wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:11 pm
Hello My Friends
Jack
Rule G?
Care to elaborate?

I'm older than dirt and don't have a clue!

H
Harold.....most railroads used a standard form of rule book. This allowed employees to move from road to road without having to learn a new set of rules with each move. Rule G was the rule prohibiting drinking or using intoxicants while subject to duty. That means not only were you prohibited from drinking on duty, but if you were available to be called for work.

Keith

(Retired Lehigh Valley RR engineer and Conrail Road Foreman of Engines

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:38 pm

Thanks! :wink:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:20 pm

Hello My Friends
Here is a bit of an update on the little Hudson. First a photo of the right side smoke box clean out with it's chain. On many modern engines this was eliminated. Often the only vestige of this was a ring of weld where a plug was welded in. It's one of them little details I always liked. Kind of like the lube line access door in the side of the cylinder jacket. Next we have the engine house blower connection. There is one on each side of the smoke box. The outlet to the left will have an elbow and a union going up to a valve with a rod going back to the cab. This allowed the engineer to operate the blower. There is the same set up on the fireman's side. The outlet pointing out to the side was where engine house steam or air could be hooked up to fire a cold engine. The full size fitting had a check valve in it so if the engine was in steam with the blower on you could dis connect the engine house steam line without getting scalded. On my number nine forney this check valve was functional. As these blower connections will be functionalI I thought about adding check valves here on the Hudson but things were just too tiny so you will have to shut off the engines blower before dis connecting the start up air.
On most locomotives the blower valve was in the cab and it operated on saturated steam. On the New York Central J1's the blower used superheated steam so the blower valves were down on the front end. The control rods were part of the clutter that made these engines so cool. There was also a control rod that went to the valve for the air compressors. In the bottom photo we have a start on the ladder steps that went from the running boards to the pilot. The steps will be made from diamond tread. I am getting a quote on 3/4" scale tread material. It will be .040" thick and I will probably be getting 12" x 12" sheets. I think that will be enough for the average 3/4" scale engine. I have been working on a gaggle of 2-1/2" scale brake valves so progress on the Hudson has been a bit slow.
See you in the funny pages...
Jack
Attachments
Cleanout.jpg
Blower Connection.jpg
Ladder Steps.jpg