3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, hwboivin3

JBodenmann

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by JBodenmann » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:39 am

Hello My Friends
Thank you Russ. Henry Ford supposedly said, "If you think you can, or can't, You're right"... Well this steam turret casing baloney has gone on long enough :roll: Here is the last part, the top door. It has to match the cab roof contour, so the cab roof angle iron former from before was used to form the downward lip at the front that the hinges will mount to. . A wood piece had to be made to hold it to the former. Then some annealed brass was clamped up and whomped down with the rawhide mallet. It was annealed a second time and whomped some more, to encourage it to snuggle up to the former.
Attachments
Casing60.jpeg
Casing61.jpeg
Casing62.jpeg
Casing63.jpeg

JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:20 am

Here we have the formed top door. It has to have a straight edge across the bottom of the downward lip for the hinges to work. The super glue dodge was used again to help with hinge fit up. These are #000 - 120 x 3/32" screws. These hinges were originally riveted on the prototype. In later years they were welded on, probably as a repair. And then the mostly completed turret casing. There is a piece at the back of the casing that fits over the cab and has a formed edge that ties in with the half round molding at the front of the cab roof. This piece won't get fastened down until the cab is finished. The next push will be to finish up the cab. The cab will have some cool details. The inside will get some tongue and groove siding. Do any of my friends out there know what color New York Central painted the inside of their cabs? There will also be wooden doors at the front of the cab with Prime Ventilator windows. There are rain gutters and guides to be added to the cab roof along with a gaggle of handrails and grab irons. The hand wheel and indicator assembly for the power reverse will be made also. The steam turret is still to be made. It will have control rods with universal joints into the cab like 5344's big sisters. Also a main shut off with a bow tie valve handle front and center. Too much fun.
Jack
Attachments
Casing64.jpeg
Casing65.jpeg
Casing66.jpeg

Andy R

Watching the School of Jack

Post by Andy R » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:29 pm

I always enjoy watching the School of Jack.
There is so much to learn and apply to my own projects!

JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:16 am

Hello My Friends
Thank you Andy. I really enjoy posting pictures of my work and a line of baloney to go with them. If any of it is helpful to other model builders that makes my day. Here are a couple snappies taken this morning just for fun. Nothing new but something to look at.
See you in the funny pages...
Attachments
GenView10.jpeg
GenView11.jpeg

NP317

Post by NP317 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:25 am

Same reason we climb mountains:
Because it's there.

Good on you.
RussN