Building the Frisco 1522

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

LocoJerome

Re: Building the Frisco 1522

Post by LocoJerome »

I’m using the erecting drawing of the Frisco 1522 and using RRSC castings where I can. I suspect I’ll be able use 1/3 of the castings as is and modify another 1/3 of them to fit the needs. The remaining parts are built and designed from scratch. The drivers are from RealTrains but I had to modify the shape of the counterweights and still need to make patterns for the main drivers.
LocoJerome

Post by LocoJerome »

Sorry, forgot to answer your question about the thrust bearings. The design is just setup with the thrust bearing on the inside of the frames. So the left bearing is taking the thrust from the right wheel and vice versus. The journal’s inboard flange are cut with a radius of half the distance between the frames such they keep on almost constant contact with the frame as the axels pitch up and down without binding and not requiring extra lateral slop. I have not seen this done anywhere else so I may be doing something dumb or over thinking it. 😁
NP317

Post by NP317 »

LocoJerome wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:46 pm [snip]The journal’s inboard flange are cut with a radius of half the distance between the frames such they keep on almost constant contact with the frame as the axels pitch up and down without binding and not requiring extra lateral slop. I have not seen this done anywhere else so I may be doing something dumb or over thinking it. 😁
That is how I machined the axle box flanges for both my Allen Ten Wheeler, and my 90-tom Mikado (not yet run).
The Ten Wheeler has performed perfectly for hundreds of real miles.
~RN
LocoJerome

Post by LocoJerome »

That’s good to hear my thinking isn’t completely all wet. I’m working on the maIn journal boxes now and the RRSC prints list a 12” inch radius for the insides of the flanges. This requires more clearance between the flanges and frames to prevent binding as the axel pitches to the extremes in my mind but the design is a proven design so I m likely going to stick with it.
LocoJerome

Post by LocoJerome »

I've been working on a few different things lately. One of the items has been the main journals. When I purchased the castings for the Railroad Supply Heavy Mikado the main journal castings were not available so I had to come up with them myself. Plus my frames are different the journals are a little larger so I was going to have to custom make them anyways. I purchased an 18" length of 6" x 2" cast iron from Speedy Metals which wasn't particularly cheap but it was on my front porch in a just a few days. The wife left it out there for me to bring in. They just wrapped cardboard around the block of iron and slapped a label on it. Guess they weren't worried about damage in delivery. :D She tried to grab it and then figured I could deal with it when she determined it was going to take more than one hand to pick it up.

I cut 8 blocks out of the cast iron on my trusty second hand 4x6 Chinese import bandsaw and then squared them up with a face mill. I created a fixture to hold the blocks which mounted on top of my rotary table. I drilled and milled out the inside bearing pockets. I then milled the opposing edges by rotating the journal 180 degrees around the bore. This ensured the bore was exactly centered between the edges so that the axle will set right in the middle of the pocket in the frame.

All eight journals were done at the same time with each operation performed on all the journals before moving on to the next step. The photo collage shows the progression of operations. One step still remains to be performed and that is machining the flanges on the sides for the journal to slide into the frame.

The Mikado blueprints call for 0.020" of to clearance (0.010" per side) between the mating faces of the journals and frames. Some clearance is required of course to accommodate changes in horizontal distance between axles as the wheels move vertically relative to the adjacent wheel. But I was surprised it was 0.020". Hopefully that is not a mistakes. If someone thinks so, please let me know. It will be a few weeks before I need to cut the flanges.
Attachments
Journal fixture mounted on top of rotary table.
Journal fixture mounted on top of rotary table.
Progression of making a journal.
Progression of making a journal.
LocoJerome

Post by LocoJerome »

Another subproject underway is the modeling up of the Scullin Disk driver that I need to get cast. I modelled up the driver in Fusion 360 and I'm hoping to cut the pattern out with a CNC router kit I'm putting together. This will be my first venture into getting something custom cast. I allowed plenty of draft angle (about 5 degrees) and I'm not too concerned about shrinkage as I'll be removing a lot of the tread area to shrink fit steel tires. My plan is to contact CatTail Foundry and make 2 pairs of them. Can anyone confirm this address is still correct?

Emunal J King
167 W Cattail Rd
Gordonville PA 17529.
Attachments
Scullin Disk driver modeled in Fusion 360
Scullin Disk driver modeled in Fusion 360
Fender

Post by Fender »

That's the same address I have, but his name is spelled:
Emanuel J. King
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
LocoJerome

Post by LocoJerome »

Thanks Dan! Appreciate the correction.

That was a name and address I pulled from an old post so glad to know it is still correct.

Best

Jerome
LocoJerome

Post by LocoJerome »

Was kindly PM'ed with information noting that the driver journals were made 0.020" undersize to allow for the use of shims to accurately center the axel in the pocket. It doesn't list what the final clearance should be, Just says things should move freely with no binding. Found the note on the assembly drawing.

From print D2019 - Assembly Drawing

SHIM BETWEEN DRIVE WHEEL JOURNAL BOXES & X2002 SIDEFRAMES UPON INSTALLATION OF DRIVE WHEEL ASSEMBLIES. USE BRASS SHIM STOCK AS NECESSARY TO 'SQUARE UP' DRIVERS TO SIDEFRAMES. IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED THAT THE SIDERODS (SECTION 10) BE INSTALLED TEMPORARILY WHILE SHIMMING DRIVERS TO INSURE THAT NO BINDS OCCUR DUE TO IMPROPER SHIMS. ROTATE DRIVERS TO CHECK FOR BINDS. BEND ENDS OF SHIMS OVER JOURNAL BOXES TO PREVENT SLIPPAGE & BUNCHING OF SHIMS AFTER INSTALLATION. ALLOW ENOUGH CLEARANCE TO ALLOW DRIVERS TO MOVE FREELY UP & DOWN IN THE SIDEFRAMES.
prlawiii

Post by prlawiii »

If the freedom of movement to accommodate the change in wheel spacing as the wheels move up and down with track fluctuations is not found in the journal box-frame clearance, where is it created?
Just starting an Allen Mogul
renewing a Marie Estelle
LocoJerome

Post by LocoJerome »

That’s the only place that I know it can be accommodated as the bearings are pressed on the axel and there is minimal clearance between the journal box and axle (about a thou it two at most). 0.020” just sounded excessive but makes sense if shimming. The prints call for a slip fit between the bearing and journal box.
LocoJerome

Post by LocoJerome »

I've been making more progress on the frames. After the pedestal binders were built and fitted to the frames I was then able to cut out the webs between the journal pockets and start milling out the pockets. I was also at this time that I drilled all the holes in the sides of the frames. The drilling took awhile but the DRO was sure nice.
Attachments
Cutting out the webs at the bottom on the journal pockets with the bandsaw.
Cutting out the webs at the bottom on the journal pockets with the bandsaw.
Milling out the final dimensions of the journal pockets.
Milling out the final dimensions of the journal pockets.
Working on drilling all the holes into the side of the frame.
Working on drilling all the holes into the side of the frame.