East Broad Top Heavy Mikado - #17

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

jschoenly

East Broad Top Heavy Mikado - #17

Post by jschoenly »

Since I've been working on CAD for a while, off and on, I thought I might post some details to share and motivate me to keep working on the design and start cutting parts. I worked out the trailing truck early on and this will probably be the starting point for the build. I don't know if this style truck is unique to the EBT or has a name, but it's an interesting Puzzle. I have been setting up to lost wax cast a lot of parts and I'm about to a point where I'll start casting on a somewhat regular basis. Once I get the journal boxes cast, that will probably be the next update post.

I'm focusing my modeling on 1.5" scale, 4.75" gauge for these narrow gauge prototypes. Some detail parts I plan to produce will crossover to standard gauge. I'm working on Vulcan Trucks, functioning Early Pyle Turbines and Hancock Injectors for the engine/cars. These may be available for sale in the future and I'll be posting in a separate log for some of those detail parts as they come. Castings for the Turbine for the functional prototype will probably beat out parts for the trailing trucks, but I thought I'd give something to look at.
Attachments
17 Engine 2015-5-29.JPG
17 Engine Side 2015-5-29.JPG
TT Angle 2 2015-5-29.JPG
TT Angle 2015-5-29.JPG
TT Top 2015-5-29.JPG
Jared Schoenly

Cabin Fever Expo
Model Engineering of all sorts.....
Benjamin Maggi

Re: East Broad Top Heavy Mikado - #17

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Cool! Who knows... your engine might be done before the real one runs again?
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

Now that looks Familiar...
My Next project after the Shay is No #18.
Capture.JPG
But I'm working in 2.5" scale.

Keep the Progress coming!

As for #17 running again... who knows, I was at EBT last week helping out with the FEBT work week. From what the other fellas said, the future is a Big Unknown. There will need to be a lot of work done on the track to run again. I do not think it has been touched in 4 years, The FEBT has really been keeping up at Orbisonia though. The buildings are looking the best that they ever had, and the crew is still working on the baggage car and a box car.
Loco112

Post by Loco112 »

You guys both being EBT friends/volunteers really need to figure out a way to get those blueprints for the locomotives, and a few for the PSC frame parts, and the ASF Vulcan trucks, (those are the most iconic EBT pieces) and get them copied and scanned at the same time. It only takes one small fire to destroy that archive. A fire like that happened at Skagway in 1969 and we lost the SV and WP&Y archives, and the blueprints to every steam loco that went up there for the war effort. One fire. Don't let time pass, get that paper backed up, and use it for your projects. Its easy to do, just pm me if you want details on what the best/fastest/cheapest methods are. If you guys will get that done I will help you find any other sets that you need for your projects. This needs to be done, its the reason why there are so few EBT livsteamers. The #17 & #18 are the best prototypes you both could choose, you will be happy with them. Good luck with your projects! I wish I lived near there so I could help you.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Loco112 wrote:...get them copied and scanned at the same time. It only takes one small fire to destroy that archive. A fire like that happened at Skagway in 1969 and we lost the SV and WP&Y archives, and the blueprints to every steam loco that went up there for the war effort. One fire. Don't let time pass, get that paper backed up...
If there was a "like" button, I would have pressed it.

Steve
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

Looks great Jared...the trailing truck is the same type(Rushton) as used on the Rio Grande K-27's.
It's Marty Knox's favorite type ;) I think he called it the "auto derailing" type.
mike.b.

Post by mike.b. »

Good luck Jared. Can't wait for more updates.
trainman1641

Post by trainman1641 »

What are you guys using as a source for dimensions? I just got done building a fictitious EBT diesel in 2.5” scale and now I want to start designing/working on a steamer while I’m still young.
ETN1 Zimmerman

Building 7.5in gauge E.B.T. #17
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Sandiapaul wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:13 am Looks great Jared...the trailing truck is the same type(Rushton) as used on the Rio Grande K-27's.
It's Marty Knox's favorite type ;) I think he called it the "auto derailing" type.
I call them a 'Stone Age' trailing truck.
trainman1641

Post by trainman1641 »

The split patterns for my 2.5in scale E.B.T. #17s drivers are made. Now to just save up to get the castings made.
Attachments
IMG_4191.jpg
IMG_4192.jpg
IMG_4193.jpg
ETN1 Zimmerman

Building 7.5in gauge E.B.T. #17
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Nice job Dave.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"