My N&W class A 1239 (gauge 5", 1 in 10 scale)

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Andypullen

Re: A with Timken running gear

Post by Andypullen »

My old friend Bruce Hamilton built his C&O 614 with a welded up and ground frame. He fully intended for it to look like a steel casting. For those that have seen her, they will attest to her realism. See the attached pic.

When I build mine; it will be very close to how yours is built. I have access to a waterjet that will get me close. It'll still need some finish work after that.

I have most of the prints I need for my A. I just need to make some patterns for parts like the drivers. I can use available components for quite a bit of it. I'll probably build one of the first 10 locomotives with the multiple bearing crossheads and roll top tender.

Andy Pullen
Attachments
Bruce's 614 2.jpg
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Steamchris

Post by Steamchris »

Hi Andy,

Wow the 614 is such a beauty, good work of Bruce....
The light at the end of the tunnel could be a train ;)

Health and Safety Notice

due to the current economic circumstances , the light at the end of the tunnel
has been switched off !
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Andy,
What a great model of that fanous C&O no. 614! It's built as those Super Powerlocomotives should look alike! I wonder if a good photo of it's locomotive bed can be provided? Would be of interest to learn how the job was done by welding. In every aspect it's worth trying to make it different to a simple frame made of just two bars, anyway.To give you more information how I tried to achieve the 'GSC' look, please see some photos.
As result of doing the job by excessive use of lasered parts, I got precise sheets due to a thickness of just 5 or 6 mm. All parts were within 0.1 mm, nearly no finishing necessary. Each part got some lasered bores of 5, 6 or 8 mm which were used to fix sheets in just one block for boring, milling and bending. They were bolted and TIG welded when all parts had been finished and put in position. Next time I would't even finish the tappered axle bridges (made of 3 equal parts, TIG welded) by milling, too. Due to the precison of laser cutting, I had too shape just 1.0 mm exactly, which was considered as tolerance for finishing!
If you wonder why I didn't decide to built in scale 7 1/4 ", please have a look how the frames had to be finished in my shop ...
Question: Did I get you right you are planing to built an A, too?
Asteamhead
Attachments
A Axle bridges, fixing.jpg
A Cross pedestal for Baker.jpg
A Milling of rear frame 8.jpg
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

I tried to get that GSC look by casting the side frames for the Berkshire with the side rib detail cast on.
I also bolt the cradle on to the side frames from the inside to give a continuous casting look.

Jim Kreider
Attachments
scan0005.jpg
scan0002.jpg
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Jim,
All the time I wondered if anybody constructed a casted frame to meet GSC look, done wonderfully!!
It's casted iron, isn't it? Rare parts!
For castings need so much work for the modells and are costly - in case you find a small company to do the casting at all, I had castings for the Baker exclusively. Other parts were made of stainless steel by milling and TIG welding.
Let's carry on this way strongly!
Asteamhead
Attachments
A Bell Crank (8).jpg
A Bakersteuerungen, montiert.jpg
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

Andy:
The C&O 614 built by Bruce Hamilton is a beautiful locomotive, as were his B&O P-7's. I regret never having met him.
Most Berkshire builders have opted to simulate the multiple bearing crosshead with a single blade but I got brave on mine and machined the actual multiple bearing version. I think I fell of the stool a couple of times at the local pub because of that but "got-er-done" as Jack B would say, ha!

Asteamhead:
The Berkshire frame parts are mainly ductile iron and bronze. I was trying to capture that GSC locomotive bed look by casting the stoker engine and injector mounts on the cradle and the rear cylinder heads cast into the cylinder block.
Please keep the pictures coming of your progress on the A. Really nice work.

Jim Kreider
Attachments
Cyl_Blk_1.JPG
Cyl_Blk_2.JPG
scan0006.jpg
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Hey Asteamhead,

I'll ask Bruce's son about frame pics. Bruce passed away several years ago. His locomotives were labors of love for him. He was a great friend and mentor to me over the years I knew him. I have many fond memories of running my brother's locomotives at his home and then my locomotive.

Your valve gear parts look absolutely perfect!

I've been planning an A for a number of years. I have the drawings from Roger Goldmann. The A drawings were among the first ones he released after releasing the Union Pacific drawings from the Beugel collection. He's been very helpful to me with them as well as with UP drawings since I've been making UP valve gear parts for his Challengers.

Hey Jim,

I'll need some of your Berkshire parts for my A. The engine truck is one as it was common to the Berk and the A. There are a number of others as well, but I need to sit down and look at both locomotives side by side.

If you come east; I can probably get you up close and personal with the P-7s and the 614.

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

JKreider wrote:Andy:
Asteamhead:
The Berkshire frame parts are mainly ductile iron and bronze. I was trying to capture that GSC locomotive bed look by casting the stoker engine and injector mounts on the cradle and the rear cylinder heads cast into the cylinder block.
Please keep the pictures coming of your progress on the A. Really nice work.

Jim Kreider
Hello Jim,
Best castings of cylinder and frame I ever saw nothing short of genious! That's real modeling of the finest. Unbelieveable, wished my cylinders for the A were made like yours rather than being welded out of several parts!
Will continue reporting after a trip over to Great Britain (York, Dorset and else) in search for steam.
Best regards Asteamhead
Attachments
A-Timken Gestänge m. Kreuzkopf.jpg
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Andypullen wrote:Hey Asteamhead,

I'll ask Bruce's son about frame pics. Bruce passed away several years ago. His locomotives were labors of love for him. He was a great friend and mentor to me over the years I knew him. I have many fond memories of running my brother's locomotives at his home and then my locomotive.

Andy Pullen
Hello Andy,
So I'm looking forward to more information, thanks for your recognition! Be sure there are more modelers here in Europe who are interested truly in such sort of work. Some friends of Swizzerland, Netherlands and Germany are building steam locomotives from scratch in tool maker's quality (rather than big). They all like true modeling!
Next week we will get a close look on the outstanding NYC Niagara of Stapleford made in 10 " gauge.
Best regards Asteamhead
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

Asteamhead:
Thanks for your very nice comments on the Berkshire castings. Looking back on it I guess it just happened one part at a time.

Andy:
Be glad to provide parts for your A project.
Thanks for the invitation. I don't get back east as often as I used to but I would certainly like to include a visit with you on my next trip.

Jim
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

News from my A
Hello steamers, it took me some time to complete the framework and cylinders, shown before in some other posts. Now the Timken running gear is complete, too including the crossheads.
The construction may be of interest for some others who think about roller bearings (ball bearings) for use within the critical crosshead connection.
Obstacles are the high loads changing direction twice every turn. The twisting (axial) forces due to movements of the wheels on normal or bad track just limited angle movements or even stall rather than full turns, and high overloads in case of slipping or carrying over some water.

Thus I found it necessarry to use a pair of bearings on a slight press fit. The inner races are pressed together by means of tappered seats and a splitted ring. This assembly shows null backlash, which is essential for reliable running. It is easily to be disassembled by removing the outer cap and pushing the tapered bolt to the inside. Please see the photo for details.
All tappered parts were made by the same adjustment to be exangeable. Tappers are about 1 in 6 o.d. or 5 °, following the normal locomotive practice.
You' re right, Timken tappered roller bearings might have been a lot smarter - but where to get some of this small size (12 - 24 - 5 mm)?
My DB class 44 is running with a similar construction for more then 20 years now with just one bearing to be replaced. Thus I'm locking forward regarding the A solution!

Asteamhead
Attachments
A Timken crossheads and piston rods_1_1.JPG
A Timken crosshead details_2_1.JPG
Steamchris

Post by Steamchris »

Hi WD,

Wow your crossheads looking so nice, your choise was right , to make
this style. Very impressive , i can imagine how good it will looks
when all parts are together.

Yesterday we bought the pipes and the other materials for my J
Boiler, of course everthing StainlessSteel 1.4571, 600 €[!], 36m
18x1, 5 pipes and 1spuare meter 3mm sheet metal,
we bought too the bress sheet 2spuare meters for the two N&W tenders.
So we need your tender drawings in the next:)
See you tomorrow A.....

Regards chris
The light at the end of the tunnel could be a train ;)

Health and Safety Notice

due to the current economic circumstances , the light at the end of the tunnel
has been switched off !