My N&W class A 1239 (gauge 5", 1 in 10 scale)

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

PeterCraymer

Re: My N&W class A 1239 (gauge 5", 1 in 10 scale)

Post by PeterCraymer »

Danke! I like the idea to make each half to cast together. I assume the center is solid and you will only open what is needed for linkage and springs?
I too do not understand why these locomotives in preservation do not retain the bearing covers. My only guess is that with the newer sealed bearing assemblies that they wish to keep an easy visual inspection without having to remove the cover. the originals were not sealed but in an oil case for lubrication which is not now needed. I like the look of the closed boxes also!

Peter
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello friends,
Some steaming of the back engine on a simple brake stand, fed by a separate boiler - all just for fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc6yUp463CM

Asteamhead
NP317

Post by NP317 »

A Symphony of Motion!
Well done.
~RN
Steamchris

Post by Steamchris »

Hello

and yes, to see that beauty in motion was an awesome
expirience. Hopefully my J will do it the same way...on Day. I cant wait to see your A running completed.

All the best,
Chris
The light at the end of the tunnel could be a train ;)

Health and Safety Notice

due to the current economic circumstances , the light at the end of the tunnel
has been switched off !
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello friends,
Some more work was done on the boiler jacket. Made of 1 mm stainless steel, the jacket was adapted to the lengths of the different boiler courses. Several parts were made conical and divided into two halfs. All were rolled from sheets first, longer than needed to achieve constant diameters for the remaining lengths. Cut outs were made as shown by the fotos. A bit primitive then due to the lack of larger machines.
After precise cutting by means of 1 mm cutting discs, parts were assembled on the boiler to sighn all the smaller bores. These were made again by means of primitive helper tools on the mill, which was just big enough without a margain!
Several steps of disassembling, controlling the bores, adjusting some positions and putting all together again were needed, of course.
The small threads of M 2 and M 2.5 were prepaired by punching the bores of core diameters. This method is improving depth of the thread within thin sheet metal. Thus all the brackets can be fixed easily onto the jacket. Unwanted welding on the boiler shell not necessarry!
Some radius corners are still missing yet. They will be TIG-welded carefully to the jacket later on.
To Chris: The news are the 'US-meeting of Sindelfingen' will be held at may 25 to 28 next year - and we will be there!

Happy new year to all you modelers by

Asteamhead
Cutting is a bit risky but works!
Cutting is a bit risky but works!
A Boiler jacket left side red.jpg[/attachment]
Same as above, as carefully as possible!
Same as above, as carefully as possible!
Cutting by means of thin 1 mm discs is a pleasure
Cutting by means of thin 1 mm discs is a pleasure
Again a bit risky due to lack of stability. Higher speed in combination with low feed helps
Again a bit risky due to lack of stability. Higher speed in combination with low feed helps
[attachment=0]
Attachments
Not ready yet but the fat conical boiler is to be seen already
Not ready yet but the fat conical boiler is to be seen already
Steamchris

Post by Steamchris »

Hi A,

good News about the US meeting.
Im looking forward to it.....

By the way, i like your sheet work on the boiler!!!

Good Step to 2017

Chris
The light at the end of the tunnel could be a train ;)

Health and Safety Notice

due to the current economic circumstances , the light at the end of the tunnel
has been switched off !
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello friends of the N&W,
Some plumber's work is finished now. Steam tubes to both blower and 6SA hot water pump are hidden between boiler and the jacket like at the prototype. A wider tube as connection from auxillary superheater to the manifold in the cab was hidden, too. For minimum space between boiler shell (back end of the enlarged smoke box) and the jacket was just 4 mm, the bigger diameter was divided into 4 smaller tubes.
For using superheated steam for auxillaries (n o t for use with the turbo generator and the injektor!) on my first locomotive to full advantage, the A got an auxillary superheater, too.

The jacket is now ready for assembly, too. It will be shown next time.

Asteamhead
Attachments
Auxillary steam tubes to both blower and 6SA water pump will be hidden under the jacketing as at the prototype. The wider auxillary superheated steam line to the cab was distributed into 4 due to lack of space under the jacket at the front
Auxillary steam tubes to both blower and 6SA water pump will be hidden under the jacketing as at the prototype. The wider auxillary superheated steam line to the cab was distributed into 4 due to lack of space under the jacket at the front
The (upper) wider tube will be hidden under the running board along the firebox
The (upper) wider tube will be hidden under the running board along the firebox
All connections and devices are accessible from the front or through the back cover plate. It will be hidden under the front sandbox. Right (to the front engine) and left (to the back engine) superheaters and main steam pipes can be seen. The auxillary superheater in the center is connected to the hidden main feed towards the cab
All connections and devices are accessible from the front or through the back cover plate. It will be hidden under the front sandbox. Right (to the front engine) and left (to the back engine) superheaters and main steam pipes can be seen. The auxillary superheater in the center is connected to the hidden main feed towards the cab
Main throttle and auxillary valve are accessible through the cover plate. A sheet of stainless steel will disclose  the ball cocks from excessive heat inside the smoke box
Main throttle and auxillary valve are accessible through the cover plate. A sheet of stainless steel will disclose the ball cocks from excessive heat inside the smoke box
All brackets are mounted on distance rings which are clamped on the boiler shell. Thus  n o  welding was done to the finished, tested and cleaned boiler made of stainless steel!
All brackets are mounted on distance rings which are clamped on the boiler shell. Thus n o welding was done to the finished, tested and cleaned boiler made of stainless steel!
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello friends of the N&W class A,
Now the boiler jacketing made of stainless steel is completed now with the exception of the rear sheet inside the cab yet. All parts of the shell are hold in position by means of the boiler rings on the outside. Running boards were made of industrial flat material with holes of about 1/8 " diameter. The outer side T - bars were milled from 1/ 4 " sqare material - all stainless. A nasty job of several (dull) hours ...
The brackets made of flat material got a Z - step by means of a tool, made of used tool shafts and hardened again after being milled.
Next to do will be a lot more of plumbing work. T h e n time will come for the marriage of boiler and running gear to try steaming up for the first time ...

All the best by
Asteamhead
Attachments
Conical boiler design didn't make construction of both jacket and running boards a picnic!
Conical boiler design didn't make construction of both jacket and running boards a picnic!
Type of material for the running boards is looking very similar to that of the prototype
Type of material for the running boards is looking very similar to that of the prototype
Open tubes and covers will be hidden by the front sandbox
Open tubes and covers will be hidden by the front sandbox
Brackets to hold running boards, turbo generator and air tanks are mounted directly onto the jacket of 1 mm.<br />CC air pumps as the power reverse and levers for both throttle and power reverse are mounted on seperate brackets (as shown in previous photos)
Brackets to hold running boards, turbo generator and air tanks are mounted directly onto the jacket of 1 mm.
CC air pumps as the power reverse and levers for both throttle and power reverse are mounted on seperate brackets (as shown in previous photos)
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Wow!
That's all I can say.
~RN
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Much too complex a build for me, so it's wonderful to see such a lovely locomotive come to life under the efforts of anther hobbyist!
This is lovely.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello both,
Let me thank you for jour kind recognition first!
Those varity of how one can build an engine of his own by different methods, tools and materials is one big advantage of our hobby!
Look, there are professionel toolmakers who construct and build parts of awesome precision. Some are producing castings of unbeliveable complexity. Some plumbing work already was shown in this forum, unsurpassed by nobody. And others achive a perfect looking overall finish and lettering of their engines. I do like all these activities and take them as inspirations. Thus I'm trying to ad some details and inside looks to the making to inspire or help others who are working at similar parts. The use of stainless steel throughout is more a passion to me than a necessity. I just like this material.
After all, my engine is intended to become a workhouse yet, like the prototype was. Thus no threads of less than M 2 (about 5/64 ") in diameter will be used at the model for example.
Carry on!
Asteamhead
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello modelers,
There is one more item constructing of which made a lot of fun to me! Height is a little more than 2 inches but working as the prototype.
Method of making may be of interest to others who need similar items for their projects under construction.
Asteamhead
Attachments
Length over all about 2 1/2 &quot;, teeth 1 mm
Length over all about 2 1/2 ", teeth 1 mm
A Barco power reverse lever outside look,red.jpg
Milling the quadrant by means of a turntable. The raw metal sheet was welded to a square tube before
Milling the quadrant by means of a turntable. The raw metal sheet was welded to a square tube before
The quadrant was turned, bored, milled and teethed by means of safe hold by the square tube
The quadrant was turned, bored, milled and teethed by means of safe hold by the square tube