Stretch Husky in a weekend

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Kimball McGinley

Re: Stretch Husky in a weekend

Post by Kimball McGinley »

7014 is real nice too...
senorgilamonster

Post by senorgilamonster »

Thanks RN. Someone told me that Welder's Chalk will also help because I will be able to follow the line and get my weld in the desired place. Although I started out on a cheap-o welder, I didn't cheap out on the safety equipment. I did buy all new stuff like auto-darkening helmet, gloves, welding jacket, etc.

I decided that I will (at a later date) cut of the worst leaning end beam and shorten the deck by an inch. This means I will have to put a new end beam on, but also that the sheet metal for my hood is now an inch too long, and I'll have to cut it down. I'll try the 6013 for the end beam replacement.

I went to BCSME in Burnaby B.C. yesterday and learned how to put wheels on with the heat the wheel (and cool the axle) method that has been mentioned. Pretty neat. I will do that on the GE 50Ton, but I couldn't use it on the existing axles on this re-build.

I got back to work today and had a productive day: I got my wheel pressed on and gauged, I mounted the axles to the chassis, ground down the edges of the deck where the cab goes, mounted the frame to the deck, cut out a slot in the deck for the chain to pass through, and mounted the motor to a mounting plate which is now attached to the deck. After cutting the chain, and putting in the temp battery, I ran it across the floor for about ten feet and back.

The chain has too much slack in it under power. I may have outsmarted myself by placing springs under the motor mount...and will have to pull those out.

I also put all new springs in the suspension, and they aren't stout enough. I'll have to replace them with some that are a bit stiffer before it will carry a full complement of batteries without bottoming out. (the original builder has softer springs at one end and stiffer springs at the other. This didn't make sense to me, so I changes them out. I now think that the stiffer springs were to prevent the motor from torquing the suspension down under load.)

Tomorrow I plan to bend the hood. I have materials to start bending handrails, but will have to heat them before bending (ask me how I know). IF it is going well I may cut the front of the hood/radiator shroud. Snowfall may hamper any painting however.
senorgilamonster

Kimball - thanks. I only have access to a 20A circuit at the moment. I'm under the impression that I need to use a higher welder power setting (Amps out of the welder) to use 70xx. If I get a good burn going with the 6011, I blow the 20A circuit breaker by the end of the 2nd stick. That is part of the reason my welds look a little cold - they are. (although this may sound confusing, I know the difference between the outlet 20A and the welder output expressed in Amps)
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Ah that makes sense, 20A at the plug doesn't get you too far for output on the welder.
You may want to try pre-heating with a propane torch, it does help. I was welding some heavy aluminum several years ago when it was really cold in the shop, and it helped me get a bead started when otherwise I couldn't.
senorgilamonster

I spent most of the day forming the hood. But, it came out really nice.
and so it begins.jpg

I didn't see this coming - halfway through the second bend I discovered that my C clamps were in the way of me completing the bend.
oops.jpg
good hood bend.jpg
paint failure.
coming together.jpg
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Looks like you've made pretty quick progress on this thing. A one-weekend build seems pretty unrealistic for something that actually runs decently and is made out of metal. You've made really good time on it, though, and it looks like a locomotive that you might see switching around in some industry or on the end of some weed-covered branch line. Overall, I'd say a fine attempt at a first build, and keep it up!
senorgilamonster

I was thinking 3 days...as a bolt together rebuild of mostly existing parts plus a new hood assembly. In the end the only things recycled are: motor, cab, axles, pillow blocks, wheels, 3 sprockets, and 3 bronze bearings. And although I have shot my schedule for the GE 50 Tonner, I have learned a lot that will help make the SP1 a better loco.

Yesterday I cut out the hood front/radiator, cut all handrail pieces, and layed out the spacing for the holes in the deck for the stanchions. I am at a place where I need to final fit the hood pieces and handrails, but I need better weather. I then need to prep all the metal for painting, then on to final assembly of the existing parts. Somewhere in there I need to get to a track for a test run and adjust the running gear as necessary. Finally Cut the coupler pocket holes and mount coupler and safety chain hardware.

About the only thing that I WILL do soon is put together the wiring harness. Then I will shift this project to the background while I get back to work on the GE 50T. But I have a back up locomotive in case I can't get the SP1 done for Triennial...

In the final analysis this will probably total about 9 man days from start to finish. BUT, I bent sheet metal for the first time and welded for the first time. And the final product is going to turn out better than I expected, at least cosmetically.
Attachments
railing detail.jpg
looking like a loco.jpg