Building a Veranda

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

NP317

Re: Building a Veranda

Post by NP317 »

"Somehow I need to build a seat into it and still make it look good."

Make a round top section of the tank that slides aft to expose the seat.
It will need to lift just enough to accommodate the radius mismatch, when the seat is exposed.
~RN
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

There's a turbine engine and something like one of those tank cars on display at Ogden Union Station in Utah. Not sure if Veranda version, can't see on that side in my photos. It was hard to get a photo as the rows of engines are very close to each other.

In any case, if it's on the path to being the right thing, it could be quite a useful direct measurement reference.
Attachments
07-02-11_Utah_Railroad_Stations-0123-01.jpg
07-02-11_Utah_Railroad_Stations-0122-01.jpg
07-02-11_Utah_Railroad_Stations-0121-01.jpg
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

About ten or so years ago, I seriously considered building one in 3/4" scale.. I was going to use one of the then "new" turbine engines for RC jets.. One of the manufacturers had a helicopter version with a reducing gearbox.. The engine was 5" diameter, and if I remember correctly the locomotive was 7.5" wide, so it would have fit nicely..
The engine was going to turn a generator, and make electricity to power motors on the axles.. For a while, I was corresponding with a gentleman in the UK who did build one that way, but I think it might have been 5" gauge..?
Anyway, good luck with your project..
Broken Knuckle

Post by Broken Knuckle »

Harlock wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:17 pm There's a turbine engine and something like one of those tank cars on display at Ogden Union Station in Utah. Not sure if Veranda version, can't see on that side in my photos. It was hard to get a photo as the rows of engines are very close to each other.

In any case, if it's on the path to being the right thing, it could be quite a useful direct measurement reference.
The one in Utah is a third generation but the tanker car is the same as the second generation GTEL. I have a trip planned there in October for photos and measurements. Was going to do an A-B third gen but that would be just to long and I don't like the trucks under it. Thank you for the photos.
I'm retired now. If it's not fun, I'm not gonna do it. :mrgreen:
Broken Knuckle

Post by Broken Knuckle »

JohnHudak wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:07 pm About ten or so years ago, I seriously considered building one in 3/4" scale.. I was going to use one of the then "new" turbine engines for RC jets.. One of the manufacturers had a helicopter version with a reducing gearbox.. The engine was 5" diameter, and if I remember correctly the locomotive was 7.5" wide, so it would have fit nicely..
The engine was going to turn a generator, and make electricity to power motors on the axles.. For a while, I was corresponding with a gentleman in the UK who did build one that way, but I think it might have been 5" gauge..?
Did you have a set of drawings to build off of? I have a RC jet turbine engine and thought about using it. Because you can't scale down heat I've decided to run a gas engine with a high speed blower for sound affects. The second gen had a diesel engine, to move it in the yard so it's not so out of line to not run the turbine at low speeds.
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Broken Knuckle wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:34 pm
JohnHudak wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:07 pm About ten or so years ago, I seriously considered building one in 3/4" scale.. I was going to use one of the then "new" turbine engines for RC jets.. One of the manufacturers had a helicopter version with a reducing gearbox.. The engine was 5" diameter, and if I remember correctly the locomotive was 7.5" wide, so it would have fit nicely..
Did you have a set of drawings to build off of? I have a RC jet turbine engine and thought about using it. Because you can't scale down heat I've decided to run a gas engine with a high speed blower for sound affects. The second gen had a diesel engine, to move it in the yard so it's not so out of line to not run the turbine at low speeds.

No, I didn't have any prints, sorry.. I remember seeing something in Model Railroader though if that helps..?
BTW, here's a video of the man in the UK...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXSuSgGbrHc
John
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

steamingdon

Post by steamingdon »

Ah! but will it reverse ?
steamer
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

steamingdon wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:38 am Ah! but will it reverse ?
In one of the videos he reversed it
gwilson0704

Post by gwilson0704 »

There is book called Turbines Westward that has a number of photos and some drawings with spec.It's a great book about the history of the UP turbine program. You may want to find that book, I have read mine a number of times looking for info on the turbine locomotives. I am interested in the steam turbine ones. Good luck
johnpenn74

Post by johnpenn74 »

There were two different tender. The totally round one being nick named the "beer Can" I think.

JP
John Pennington

Logging meets that actually move logs

Project
2 Mich-Cal Shays
Allen 4-4-0 Narrow Gauge Conversion
Two Reading A5a Camelback 0-4-0
USRA 0-6-0
Clishay
4 Western Wheeled Scraper NG Dump Cars
N&W 4-8-2
ICM 2-10-2
4 Modern Stake Cars
L&N Caboose
4 Big Four Conversion Gondolas

Like I'm actually gonna build all this stuff :-P
Broken Knuckle

Post by Broken Knuckle »

johnpenn74 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:26 am There were two different tender. The totally round one being nick named the "beer Can" I think.

JP
You are right. The Veranda had the round sided fuel tender that was nicknamed the "Beer Can" and the third generation "Big Blow" had a square fuel tender.